Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Patty

Default Capitalization

I have been using microsoft word to mail merge letters to send to my
customers. I use Access data bases which I sometimes import from Excel as my
data sources. Up until now I have been inputing data myself, which takes
forever. Recently I discovered several data bases I can purchase that would
be very helpful to me. Unfortunately the data is not set up the way I need
it to be for my letters. My question is, "If the data is all in capitals,
can I somehow change the settings for the whole database so that only the
first letter of names, cities, and states will be capitalized?" I am using
Excel 2002. Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bpeltzer

You might use the PROPER function to convert a cell's capitalization. If you
have "MY NAME" in A1, then =proper(A1) returns "My Name".

"Patty" wrote:

I have been using microsoft word to mail merge letters to send to my
customers. I use Access data bases which I sometimes import from Excel as my
data sources. Up until now I have been inputing data myself, which takes
forever. Recently I discovered several data bases I can purchase that would
be very helpful to me. Unfortunately the data is not set up the way I need
it to be for my letters. My question is, "If the data is all in capitals,
can I somehow change the settings for the whole database so that only the
first letter of names, cities, and states will be capitalized?" I am using
Excel 2002. Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

Hi Patty,
I guess your database is in Excel; otherwise, you wouldn't be asking
here how to change to proper case. I would suggest converting the
columns to proper case inplace with a macro, once, and be done.
Even if you get replacement files a macro would simplify things. See
Proper, and other Text changes -- Use of Special Cells
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm

If you are now using Excel as your data base to MS Word for Mail Merge
---
HTH,