Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
brandityler

Default formula help please

hi, i need help with a computer class excell assignment...im no good at
formulas...
here it is...
In cell E8, use an if function to calculate the employee's base pay.
Base Pay is Pay Rate times the Hours worked but only up to and
including 40 hours. If Hours is greater than 40 do not include any
hours worked over 40 in the base pay amount. Use ONLY cell references
in the function to constant values stored in cells.

Note: base pay is in cell is e8 and hours is in d8.

In cell F8, use an if function to calculate the employee's Overtime Pay
for any hours worked above 40.
...overtime pay is 1.5

thanks so much for any help.

--
brandityler
brandityler's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31418

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

"brandityler"
wrote in message

hi, i need help with a computer class excell assignment...im no good at
formulas...
here it is...
In cell E8, use an if function to calculate the employee's base pay.
Base Pay is Pay Rate times the Hours worked but only up to and
including 40 hours. If Hours is greater than 40 do not include any
hours worked over 40 in the base pay amount. Use ONLY cell references
in the function to constant values stored in cells.

Note: base pay is in cell is e8 and hours is in d8.

In cell F8, use an if function to calculate the employee's Overtime Pay
for any hours worked above 40.
..overtime pay is 1.5

thanks so much for any help.

Call me old-fashioned, but I still think learning is more effective when you
have to read and experiment. So, here's something direct from the Excel 2000
help system, accessed easily by pressing F1:

IF
See Also

Returns one value if a condition you specify evaluates to TRUE and another
value if it evaluates to FALSE.

Use IF to conduct conditional tests on values and formulas.

Syntax

IF(logical_test,value_if_true,value_if_false)

Logical_test is any value or expression that can be evaluated to TRUE or
FALSE. For example, A10=100 is a logical expression; if the value in cell
A10 is equal to 100, the expression evaluates to TRUE. Otherwise, the
expression evaluates to FALSE. This argument can use any comparison
calculation operator.

Value_if_true is the value that is returned if logical_test is TRUE. For
example, if this argument is the text string "Within budget" and the
logical_test argument evaluates to TRUE, then the IF function displays the
text "Within budget". If logical_test is TRUE and value_if_true is blank,
this argument returns 0 (zero). To display the word TRUE, use the logical
value TRUE for this argument. Value_if_true can be another formula.

Value_if_false is the value that is returned if logical_test is FALSE. For
example, if this argument is the text string "Over budget" and the
logical_test argument evaluates to FALSE, then the IF function displays the
text "Over budget". If logical_test is FALSE and value_if_false is omitted,
(that is, after value_if_true, there is no comma), then the logical value
FALSE is returned. If logical_test is FALSE and value_if_false is blank
(that is, after value_if_true, there is a comma followed by the closing
parenthesis), then the value 0 (zero) is returned. Value_if_false can be
another formula.

Remarks

a.. Up to seven IF functions can be nested as value_if_true and
value_if_false arguments to construct more elaborate tests. See the
following last example.

b.. When the value_if_true and value_if_false arguments are evaluated, IF
returns the value returned by those statements.

c.. If any of the arguments to IF are arrays, every element of the array
is evaluated when the IF statement is carried out.

d.. Microsoft Excel provides additional functions that can be used to
analyze your data based on a condition. For example, to count the number of
occurrences of a string of text or a number within a range of cells, use the
COUNTIF worksheet function. To calculate a sum based on a string of text or
a number within a range, use the SUMIF worksheet function. Learn about
calculating a value based on a condition.

Examples

On a budget sheet, cell A10 contains a formula to calculate the current
budget. If the result of the formula in A10 is less than or equal to 100,
then the following function displays "Within budget". Otherwise, the
function displays "Over budget".

IF(A10<=100,"Within budget","Over budget")

In the following example, if the value in cell A10 is 100, then logical_test
is TRUE, and the total value for the range B5:B15 is calculated. Otherwise,
logical_test is FALSE, and empty text ("") is returned that blanks the cell
that contains the IF function.

IF(A10=100,SUM(B5:B15),"")

Suppose an expense worksheet contains in B2:B4 the following data for
"Actual Expenses" for January, February, and March: 1500, 500, 500. C2:C4
contains the following data for "Predicted Expenses" for the same periods:
900, 900, 925.

You can write a formula to check whether you are over budget for a
particular month, generating text for a message with the following formulas:

IF(B2C2,"Over Budget","OK") equals "Over Budget"

IF(B3C3,"Over Budget","OK") equals "OK"

Suppose you want to assign letter grades to numbers referenced by the name
AverageScore. See the following table.

If AverageScore is Then return
Greater than 89 A
From 80 to 89 B
From 70 to 79 C
From 60 to 69 D
Less than 60 F

You can use the following nested IF function:

IF(AverageScore89,"A",IF(AverageScore79,"B",
IF(AverageScore69,"C",IF(AverageScore59,"D","F") )))In the preceding
example, the second IF statement is also the value_if_false argument to the
first IF statement. Similarly, the third IF statement is the value_if_false
argument to the second IF statement. For example, if the first logical_test
(Average89) is TRUE, "A" is returned. If the first logical_test is FALSE,
the second IF statement is evaluated, and so on.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
brandityler

be a jerk if you want.
i have a lot of other formulas on this assignment that are similiar and
i thought that if i could get one of them done i could use them to
figure out the rest.

--
brandityler
brandityler's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31418
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=514457

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
vezerid

This is as much help as I would give to my students...

Use two numbers for hours, one less than 40 and one more than 40.
Write the calculations that you would perform to compute the payment in
each case.
Now think variables/cells. Realize that the two different hrs amts
would be placed in the same cell for two different calculations.
Replace numbers with cell references.

Then write your IF. It can accommodate two different calculations based
on the condition, which has to do with the hours.

And stop thinking that you cannot do it. Once you first do it you will
realize your potential. You might not get the Nobel Prize of computing
but you can certainly learn to think as the tool requires.

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

"brandityler"
wrote in message

be a jerk if you want.
i have a lot of other formulas on this assignment that are similiar and
i thought that if i could get one of them done i could use them to
figure out the rest.

If you believe in democracy, it appears you're about to be outvoted on this
issue. I learned how to write formulas using a book and the Excel help
system. It was 1988 and if there were any online discussion areas, I wasn't
aware of them. What materials has your school provided for this course?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
trav

seeing as they believe you have to learn yourself, i won't give you the
whole answer, but i do know how frusting programing stuff can be when
you are first starting out so i think this would be a good starting
point

hours = value of hours cell
wage = value of wage cell

if hours <= 40 then
destination cell = wage * hours
else
overtime = hours - 40
regularpaid = 40 * wage
' if you have to calculate overtime
overtimepaid = overtime * overtimewage
totalpaid = overtimepaid + regularpaid

destination cell = 'whatever you want, either regular or total
end if

good luck

--
trav
trav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31420

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
brandityler

thankyou. i have done plenty, i have been using formulas for a while. i
am just having trouble creating a formula for this first question of
this assignment. i have been trying for almost an hour. i didnt come on
here just for someone to do the assignment for me. i need to know how
to do for tests. i am not good at formulas but I get by, I just happen
to get stuck sometimes, thanks for those who try to help. i cant beleive
someone would be so rude as to reply and not offer anything but a rude
comment.

--
brandityler
brandityler's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31418
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=514457

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

"brandityler"
wrote in message

thankyou. i have done plenty, i have been using formulas for a while. i
am just having trouble creating a formula for this first question of
this assignment. i have been trying for almost an hour. i didnt come on
here just for someone to do the assignment for me. i need to know how
to do for tests. i am not good at formulas but I get by, I just happen
to get stuck sometimes, thanks for those who try to help. i cant beleive
someone would be so rude as to reply and not offer anything but a rude
comment.

This is nothing. My 10th grade biology teacher expected us to type our
handwritten notes each night. The notebook counted for about a third of our
grade. We never knew when she might collect them. This raised fear to new
levels. The result is that 37 years later, many of us still remember a lot
of what she taught us.

Really, we're just trying to help by pointing ways to the answer, other than
the one you hoped for.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
brandityler

like i said, i wanted help figuring out the problem, not just given the
answer. it would be stupid of me to just get the answer and not know how
it was formulated being how i have to do this the rest day and the rest
of the semester. if i read correctly, this is a help forum, if you
are not "helping" then why post?

--
brandityler
brandityler's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31418
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=514457

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

"brandityler"
wrote in message

like i said, i wanted help figuring out the problem, not just given the
answer. it would be stupid of me to just get the answer and not know how
it was formulated being how i have to do this the rest day and the rest
of the semester. if i read correctly, this is a help forum, if you
are not "helping" then why post?

Did the excerpt from the help system provide any insights?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
brandityler

And I am sure with a smart ass attitude like yours, you have many close
friends.

--
brandityler
brandityler's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31418
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=514457

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

"brandityler"
wrote in message

And I am sure with a smart ass attitude like yours, you have many close
friends.

I just peeked at the original problem again, and it's even easier than I
thought. Are you able to write out the concept on paper?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
brandityler

and Yes, Doug, I figured it out. Thankyou for those who offered help and
were not posting just to be a pain in the ass.

--
brandityler
brandityler's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31418
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=514457

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

"brandityler"
wrote in message

and Yes, Doug, I figured it out. Thankyou for those who offered help and
were not posting just to be a pain in the ass.

That wasn't so bad. It only took two hours, right?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
brandityler

yes, i write it on paper first and yes, it was easier than i thought
too. i had most of it right and just one part wrong that kept confusing
me, just one of those "DUH" things.