Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ddawg09

Default Using Empirical Rule for Data???

I have 3 columns of data and I have to use the empirical rule for all 3
columns to find the upper limits and get rid of all oulier data points.
Is there any easy way to do this?

--
ddawg09
ddawg09's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31205

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Leith Ross

Hello ddawg09,

Is each column a separate sample or total population, or are the
columns one sample or a population? Is the upper limit Z-score 1 (68%)
or something else?

Sincerely,
Leith Ross

--
Leith Ross
Leith Ross's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18465

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ddawg09

Leith Ross Wrote:
Hello ddawg09,

Is each column a separate sample or total population, or are the
columns one sample or a population? Is the upper limit Z-score 1 (68%)
or something else?

Sincerely,
Leith Ross

Yeah, each of my 3 columns is separate and so I have to use the
Empirical Formula for all 3. I just wanted to see if there was an
easier way then finding the average and standard dev. and then finding
the % of points in each range.

--
ddawg09
ddawg09's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31205
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=513905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Leith Ross

Hello ddawg09,

The Empirical Formula is dependent on a Normal (Gaussian) distribution.
Excel has all the functions built in to solve for Standard Deviation,
Average, and Normal Distrbution. Here is a list of Worksheet Formulas
that should help make it easier.

STDEV Finds Standard Deviation of a Population Sample (unbiased)
STDEVP Finds the Standard Deviation of a Population
AVERAGE Returns the Arithmetic Mean of a number series
NORMDIST Returns the normal cumulative distribution for the specified
mean and standard deviation.
NORMSDIST Takes a Z value. Z is the value for which you want the
distribution.

Sincerely,
Leith Ross