Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PaolaAndrea

Default Deleting some content of a cell

I have a column that has two words that are divided by the / sign.

I want to delete the first part; for example:
A1 reads: Excel / Access
I want to write a formula that will take the Excel /
And then A1 will equal to Access only.

Please help.

Thanks

Paola
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

Select the range of cells in question

Goto DataText to Columns
Select Delimited
Click Next
For delimiters, select: space and other
In the little box beside "other" enter a backslash /
Make sure "Treat consecutive delimiters as one" is checked
Click Next
Select: "Do not import column (skip)"
Click Finish

Biff

"PaolaAndrea" wrote in message
I have a column that has two words that are divided by the / sign.

I want to delete the first part; for example:
A1 reads: Excel / Access
I want to write a formula that will take the Excel /
And then A1 will equal to Access only.

Please help.

Thanks

Paola

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PaolaAndrea

I have a problem, the column is not consistant and some of the cells are
missing the first part. For Example:

Carlos / Villa
Erica / Puerta
Gallo
Jorge / Sanin

I want Gallo to go to cell B but it stays in cell A because is missing the
/. Is there a way to tell excel to move the content to B is / is missin?

Please advise?

Thank you.

Paola

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

Select the range of cells in question

Goto DataText to Columns
Select Delimited
Click Next
For delimiters, select: space and other
In the little box beside "other" enter a backslash /
Make sure "Treat consecutive delimiters as one" is checked
Click Next
Select: "Do not import column (skip)"
Click Finish

Biff

"PaolaAndrea" wrote in message
I have a column that has two words that are divided by the / sign.

I want to delete the first part; for example:
A1 reads: Excel / Access
I want to write a formula that will take the Excel /
And then A1 will equal to Access only.

Please help.

Thanks

Paola

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Ok, try this formula:

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("/",A1)),A1,MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)+2,255))

Copy down as needed.

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

Select the range of cells in question

Goto DataText to Columns
Select Delimited
Click Next
For delimiters, select: space and other
In the little box beside "other" enter a backslash /
Make sure "Treat consecutive delimiters as one" is checked
Click Next
Select: "Do not import column (skip)"
Click Finish

Biff

"PaolaAndrea" wrote in message
I have a column that has two words that are divided by the / sign.

I want to delete the first part; for example:
A1 reads: Excel / Access
I want to write a formula that will take the Excel /
And then A1 will equal to Access only.

Please help.

Thanks

Paola

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Trevor Shuttleworth

Paola

a different approach ...

assuming the data starts in cell A1, put this formula in a cell on Row 1,
for example, into cell B1

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("/",A1)),A1,RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("/",A1)-1))

Copy it down. Now copy all the data in the new column and Paste Special |
Values over the original data. You can then delete the new column

Regards

Trevor