Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Teo

Default Rolling Budget

This is kind of complicated.

In one sheet we have a rolling income statement (Jan-Dec) in which we enter
the figures for the actual month manually (this is the input sheet).

In second spreadsheet we have a similar rolling, but with budgets figures.

The third sheet only refers to the current month and it reads from both of
the sheets above; we only want to show the current month figures here.

For example if the current month is March, we want the third sheet to read
the figures corresponding to March from sheet one and the figures
corresponding to March from sheet two for the budget.

When I open sheet one to enter April figures, I want to see the numbers in
sheet two and sheet three change to the corresponding April figures without
copying cells.

What will be good here?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Carole Drake

Do you need year-to-date? What I do is just "save as" for each month and
start a new worksheet. Then the format remains the same and the entry will go
to the right place for your single month. So save march, then save as April
and relabel and input April info.

"Teo" wrote:

This is kind of complicated.

In one sheet we have a rolling income statement (Jan-Dec) in which we enter
the figures for the actual month manually (this is the input sheet).

In second spreadsheet we have a similar rolling, but with budgets figures.

The third sheet only refers to the current month and it reads from both of
the sheets above; we only want to show the current month figures here.

For example if the current month is March, we want the third sheet to read
the figures corresponding to March from sheet one and the figures
corresponding to March from sheet two for the budget.

When I open sheet one to enter April figures, I want to see the numbers in
sheet two and sheet three change to the corresponding April figures without
copying cells.

What will be good here?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Teo

Hi Carole,

Yes, I will need YTD. Just saving will not give me what I want; basically
what I want is my actual monthly sheet to read the corresponding month from
my budget sheet as i am working on the actual sheet every month.

I don't want to have to copy the budget figures each time, I want the actual
sheet to read the corresponding month in the budget as I work in the
different months.

thanks,

Teo.

"Teo" wrote:

This is kind of complicated.

In one sheet we have a rolling income statement (Jan-Dec) in which we enter
the figures for the actual month manually (this is the input sheet).

In second spreadsheet we have a similar rolling, but with budgets figures.

The third sheet only refers to the current month and it reads from both of
the sheets above; we only want to show the current month figures here.

For example if the current month is March, we want the third sheet to read
the figures corresponding to March from sheet one and the figures
corresponding to March from sheet two for the budget.

When I open sheet one to enter April figures, I want to see the numbers in
sheet two and sheet three change to the corresponding April figures without
copying cells.

What will be good here?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Carole Drake

Teo,

Actually, I manually input everything each month. There will be a training
in ODBC where you can import things from our accounting program but as yet,
it is not available. So I have a sheet with the format all set up (boss likes
it to look exactly the same each month) and type in actual and then add it
to the prior month's sheet to get year-to-date. Same for budget.

I have thought of automating it, but whenever there is one additional line
change, all the lines below would be wrong...To get one sheet to read
different source cells each month seems impossible. I could see it reading
the same source if you changed to a new equal current sheet, like the answer
would always be in C2 or C25; so I am stumped.

I haven't yet even automated the YTD part....

I was thinking, like, set up the budget worksheet for the whole year with a
column for each month, then you could copy and special paste the whole column
for March at once to the current worksheet? Better than hand copying?
Haven't solved YTD yet, though. Still, for me, there are too many changes. I
don't want to have to go through and cut and paste the columns to custom fit
the newly inserted rows. Once my format is set up, it's easier on my brain to
just do it one line at a time. I have four divisions, with about 3 to 5 pages
each; maybe with larger I would struggle harder to automate.

How many pages do you have to do?