Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Geoff Neale

Default * in date format

I have exported a report into Excel from a suppliers website. :)

It now includes a * infront the date format which is not displayed. I
cannot remove it, the data displays a date as normal but is seens as
text in the cell.:(

If I use the "Edit Replace" function it removes all the data and I
can't find any other way to remove it. I think the spreadsheet thinks
is a wildcard.

--
Geoff Neale
Geoff Neale's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=14564

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SteveG

Geoff,

Use B:B as a helper column. Where your date is in A1 in B1 try this.

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,"*",,1)*1

Multiplying it by 1 converts it from text to a formattable date. Drag
down the list and then you can Copy, Paste Special values over the old
data and delete the helper column.

Does that help?

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Geoff Neale

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your help, unfortunately it didn't work in this instance as
the format has the * in front of it, it doesn't actually appear in the
cell.

I managed to work around.

Geoff