Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dickives

Default Fixing Comma Separated Values (.csv)

I am trying to export my bank statement to excel. The only option I
have that will work in excel is .csv. The problem is that this format
does not separate the data. It keeps it all in one cell, with commas
separating it (hence the name). For example, cell A2 contains the
date, description and amount. What I want is for date to be in A2,
description to be in B2 and amount to be in C2.

Is there an easy way to break the lines up into separate cells?
Thanks.

--
dickives
dickives's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30532

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eric_MUC

Hi,

as csv does simply mean "comma seperated values" the data in the csv is
seperated by comma... ;)

Therefore you simply have to load the file in Excel - done.

If this - for any reason - does not work correctly (as you claimed), try this:
Rename the file to *.txt and load it in Excel again.
The Import-Assistant should come up and you should be able to import the
data correctly.

Did this help?

Best wishes,
Eric