Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ChuckW

Default Parsing Data all in one cell that is seprated by the Enter key

Hi,

I have exported about 1000 e-mails from outlook to excel. All of the
information I have on customers appear in the the same cell. So I have 1000
cells on information all in one column. Here is a sample of what the
exported information looks like
in Excel. Everything is in one field or cell and separated by two Enter key
strokes. Boxes which represent the enter key appear in excel as boxes but
did not show when I posted the data into this web page.

'Name: Chuck Wildeman

Address: 123 Main Street

City: Atlanta

State: GA

Zip: 30533

Is there a way to separate or parse all of this data into separate field
that all
appear in one row? So I would want it to look like the following:

Column B Column C Column D Column E Column F
Chuck Wildeman 123 Main St Atlanta GA 30533

--
Chuck W
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

See if this works for you:

Select your column of addresses.
FormatCellsAlignment tabUncheck: Wrap text
EditReplace
Find what: Hold down the [Alt] key, type 010, release the [Alt] key
(Note: if 010 doesn't work, try 013 or 009)

Replace with: : <-that's a colon (:)
Click the [Replace All] button

DataText-to-Columns
Delimited....Click the [Next] button
Delimiter: :<-Again, that's a colon....Click the [Next] button
Select the fields to be skipped....Click the [Finish] button

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"ChuckW" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David M

Chuck,

The way i've done this in the past:
Firstly put a sequential number sequence down column A
Use the text to colums- delimited by ":" to split you fields to the right
Do an edit find on e.g "name: " and replace with Blnk to remove leading
characters.
You now should have all the info you want clean in a verticly.
with "name: " etc
In the columns to the write type out the headings you want
under name- then use an if statement to say if the field is "name: "then
input name- accross from in address 1 if field is name- then select the row
just below or "Blank" otherwise where the address is- copy the formula down-
then copy & paste special- value in new sheet- then filter out the blank- you
sj=hould be left with the fields as requested.

REgards

David

"ChuckW" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

Hi Ron:

Your method works perfectly. You can also do the ALT-010 directly in the
text-to-columns dialog if there any real :'s in the text
--
Gary's Student

"ChuckW" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc