Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
VPP Industries

Default Can I combine column A into Colum B?

Hello, I have an excel file from a customer and I have to combine their first
and last name into 1 column. They have the first name in column A and the
last name in column B. I need to get these into 1 column so they can be pout
into the UPS System. Thanks in advance!!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
wjohnson

You can insert a blank column to the left of Column A so your column A
will be blank: Then enter the following formula; =CONCATENATE(B1,",
",C1)
B1 is the First Cell
", " is if you want anything to follow - in this case I have inserted a
"," and hard space.
If you do not want the , and hard space - just delete it and leave the
comma which proceeds C1.
C1 is your second cell.
Then copy down.
Then copy all of Column A and then "PASTE - SPECIAL - Values" then you
can delete column Column B and C and your values will remain.
Work with a copy and not the original.

--
wjohnson
wjohnson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29640

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Did this work for you? I can get A1 and B1 to combine into C1, but I can't
delete columns A and B without the data in Column C disappearing completely.
When I try to copy Column C to another worksheet and start again with the
'good' information, all I get is #REF! in all the cells in the column. What
am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help you can give me...

"Sloth" wrote:

You can't automatically but you can use a helper colomn to combine the data.
In C1 insert something like this...
=A1&"_"&B1
copy the formula down the list
copy the colomn and paste special selecting values
then delete the unwanted or/and old columns

FYI:
=A1&"_"&B1
converts John Smith to John_Smith
=A1&" "&B1
converts John Smith to John_Smith
=B1&", "&A1
converts John Smith to Smith, John

"VPP Industries" wrote:

Hello, I have an excel file from a customer and I have to combine their first
and last name into 1 column. They have the first name in column A and the
last name in column B. I need to get these into 1 column so they can be pout
into the UPS System. Thanks in advance!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I followed these steps, but when I use the fill series command only the
second column reference adjusts. The first column stays B1 for all cells.
What am I doing wrong?

"wjohnson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"wjohnson" wrote:

You can insert a blank column to the left of Column A so your column

will be blank: Then enter the following formula; =CONCATENATE(B1,",
",C1)
B1 is the First Cell
", " is if you want anything to follow - in this case I have inserted

"," and hard space.
If you do not want the , and hard space - just delete it and leave

the
comma which proceeds C1.
C1 is your second cell.
Then copy down.
Then copy all of Column A and then "PASTE - SPECIAL - Values" then

you
can delete column Column B and C and your values will remain.
Work with a copy and not the original.

--
wjohnson

wjohnson's Profile: 'Excel Help Forum - View Profile: wjohnson'

(http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29640)
View this thread: 'Can I combine column A into Colum B? - Excel Help

Forum' (http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=511892)

When you have entered the formula, make sure the cell with the formula
is selected, then double-click the handle at the lower right corner of
the cell.

--
Pecoflyer

Cheers -
*'Membership is free' (http://www.thecodecage.com)* & allows file
upload -faster and better answers

*Adding your XL version* to your post helps finding solution faster
Pecoflyer's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=14
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=54178

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

how can i Combine Serial numbers Data Column A & B in column C ?

example:

A Column B Column C Column
20 25 21
21 26 22