Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
venetianjigsaw

Default Pivot Tables

I have recently entered the world of Data Cubes and Pivot Tables, so this
makes me a rookie.

I am somewhat of an IT Journeyman in that my skills, over the years, have
taken me from Business Analyst (1995) to "Greenhorn" developer (present day).
My company develops software that is used in the Medical Industry and we
presently provide our clients w/ three canned reports. We are now adding
data cubes as part of a "custom" reporting solution. Our application is
written in ASP and resides on SQL Server 2000. While I am able to create the
cube, my goal is to deploy to our clients based on their requirements.
Understand that the client has the same SQL Server setup as we do (i.e.
database and tables are mirrored w/ minor data entry changes).

Now that I've given you the history, here's where I am going w/ all of this:

1) When we deploy the client's cube (both the .cub and .qry files), is
there any special setup that will need to take place on THEIR end? I realize
they'll need Office 2002 (or greater), but will they need OLAP Administrator
permissions or any other special permissions in order to access?

2) If OLAP admin permissions are required (or any other permissions w/ the
exception of Administrator), can they be configured in such a way to keep the
client from hitting the db and reconfiguring the cube?

3) Will Analysis Services need to be installed on their server before they
can use the cube we deploy?

4) Since the client will be using a Pivot Table, is there any other way it
can be refreshed on a periodic basis, at the server level, other than the
check box that they can select in the Pivot Table properties?

5) Does Office Web Components (OWC) already come w/ Office or does the
client even need them? Is OWC only if you want to view the Pivot Table in IE
(does this even need to be a point of conversation/concern)?

6) When the client upgrades Office to a newer version, will the cube need
to be reconfig'd? I think I saw in XP that the Pivot Table looks pretty
similiar to one in Analysis Services...again, that may be the OWC piece.

7) Is there anything else I should know that I may be leaving out as a
result of my total ignorance to the whole data cube, pivot table process.

I know this is pretty long, but I wanted to give as much info on the front
end to avoid alot of unnecessary posts.

As my dad would say, "It's better to get it right the first time then to
have to do over". I'm sure that someone else might have said that, but he's
right.

Thanks for any info that you can/may provide.
--
venetianjigsaw