Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
roger_home

Default If certain item is picked, then text added...

I've got about 20 items in a pull down in Column D. Based on which item
is picked, I need certain text to go in N, for instance:

If "SURVEY" is picked in D, I need "pr1 pr2 cut fold sort put away" put
in N.

There are 7 (right now) alternate strings of text for N, based on which
of the 20 is picked in D.

Any help would be appreciated...be aware, I am a newbie/intermediate in
EXCEL.

Thanx

--
roger_home
roger_home's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16434

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Anne Troy

Probably a vlookup, Roger, particularly if you want to be able to easily add
to the list.
See:

************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com
Check out the NEWsgroup stats!
Check out: www.ExcelUserConference.com

"roger_home" wrote
in message ...

I've got about 20 items in a pull down in Column D. Based on which item
is picked, I need certain text to go in N, for instance:

If "SURVEY" is picked in D, I need "pr1 pr2 cut fold sort put away" put
in N.

There are 7 (right now) alternate strings of text for N, based on which
of the 20 is picked in D.

Any help would be appreciated...be aware, I am a newbie/intermediate in
EXCEL.

Thanx

--
roger_home
roger_home's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=511525

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
daddylonglegs

Create a table with your items from D in one column (I presume you
already have these as a list somewhere on the spreadsheet) and your
corresponding text in column to the right then you can just do a
VLOOKUP in column N

=VLOOKUP(D1,table,2,0)

you can either use INSERT NAME DEFINE to define your table name and
use in the formula or use the actual cell refs, e.g.

=VLOOKUP(D1,Y1:Z20,2,0)

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK

Your pull down on column D presumably refers to a list of 20 items
somewhere - assume this is in X1 to X20. Next to these in Y1 to Y20 you
should add the text which you want to associate with each of your
pull-down values, so if "SURVEY" is in X5, for example, you would put
"pr1 pr2 cut fold sort put away" in Y5. Then in N1 you would put the
formula:

=VLOOKUP(D1,$X$1:$Y$20,2,0),

assuming your pull-down is in D1.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
roger_home

Thanx guys, I'll try it

--
roger_home
roger_home's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16434
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=511525

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
roger_home

I can't get it to work...my items are a list called "item1" on sheet
2,A1:A20
What I want to go in Column N is a list called "actions" on sheet 2,
B1:B22

--
roger_home
roger_home's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16434
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=511525

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
daddylonglegs

Hi roger, those ranges are different sizes, I assume actions is B1:B20

try in N1

=VLOOKUP(D1,sheet2!$A$1:$B$20,2,0)