Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
chris

Default sort

I have a simple table of state names in one column and city names in the next
column. There are 4 rows that will not sort correctly state then city. I
have cleared and reentered the information, checked cell formatting, and
selected the entire table, but still will not work. Any help
--
chris
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Otto Moehrbach

Have you checked for leading spaces? That will do what you say. You say
that you re-entered the data but leading spaces is about the only way you
can get what you say. Post back and provide a short list of what you have.
Indicate which ones in your list sort properly and which do not. HTH Otto
"chris" wrote in message
I have a simple table of state names in one column and city names in the
next
column. There are 4 rows that will not sort correctly state then city. I
have cleared and reentered the information, checked cell formatting, and
selected the entire table, but still will not work. Any help
--
chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
chris

Thanks for replying. Here is a partial list. There are no leading spaces.
You will notice that the first 3 entries of cities in TX are not in order. I
can't even get them to move if I try to sort just a small chunk like this.
Any ideas?

Tennessee Memphis
Tennessee Nashville
Texas Harlingen
Texas Texas City
Texas Uvalde
Texas Angleton
Texas Aspermont
Texas Austin
Texas Beaumont
Texas Brownsville

--
chris

"chris" wrote in message
I have a simple table of state names in one column and city names in the
next
column. There are 4 rows that will not sort correctly state then city. I
have cleared and reentered the information, checked cell formatting, and
selected the entire table, but still will not work. Any help
--
chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Otto Moehrbach

How about extra spaces between words? Use the Trim function to take out the
extra spaces. There is a very good reason for this, we just have to find
it. I just copied/pasted the list you had in your message into a new blank
Excel file, and it sorted perfectly. If you wish send me, direct via email,
a small file that demonstrates your problem Make sure the problem is
present in that small file before you send it. My email address
. Remove the "nop" from this address. HTH Otto