Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kell2604

Default Formula

I need a formula that will sum every x number of cells. For example: I have
data in every 8th cell and I want to write a formula that totals that data.
Is the only way to do that to write my formula =sum(C1...and hold my ctrl key
down while manually selecting each cell...C9,C17,C25) Or can a formula be
written to sum each 8th cell??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin Vaughn

This seemed to work:

=SUMPRODUCT(--((MOD(ROW(E1:E25), 8))= 1),--(E1:E25))

--
Kevin Vaughn

"Kell2604" wrote:

I need a formula that will sum every x number of cells. For example: I have
data in every 8th cell and I want to write a formula that totals that data.
Is the only way to do that to write my formula =sum(C1...and hold my ctrl key
down while manually selecting each cell...C9,C17,C25) Or can a formula be
written to sum each 8th cell??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
L_n_da

Perhaps:
An array formula. The values are stored in a range named Data

{SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNT(Data)))-1,8)=0,Data,""))}

"Kell2604" wrote:

I need a formula that will sum every x number of cells. For example: I have
data in every 8th cell and I want to write a formula that totals that data.
Is the only way to do that to write my formula =sum(C1...and hold my ctrl key
down while manually selecting each cell...C9,C17,C25) Or can a formula be
written to sum each 8th cell??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kell2604

Thanks Kevin!

Can I just copy and paste this into Excel? I have tried that and I'm
getting an error (# VALUE) I did change the cell range to reflect the cell
range in my spreadsheet.

"Kell2604" wrote:

I need a formula that will sum every x number of cells. For example: I have
data in every 8th cell and I want to write a formula that totals that data.
Is the only way to do that to write my formula =sum(C1...and hold my ctrl key
down while manually selecting each cell...C9,C17,C25) Or can a formula be
written to sum each 8th cell??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin Vaughn

Based on the test I just did, it probably means that in at least one of those
rows that is being summed, the value is actually test. BTW, you should
change the range to suit your needs. In the meantime, I will see what I can
do so that it won't give the #value error.

--
Kevin Vaughn

"Kell2604" wrote:

I need a formula that will sum every x number of cells. For example: I have
data in every 8th cell and I want to write a formula that totals that data.
Is the only way to do that to write my formula =sum(C1...and hold my ctrl key
down while manually selecting each cell...C9,C17,C25) Or can a formula be
written to sum each 8th cell??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin Vaughn

This array entered formula seems to take care of the possibility of text (not
test.)

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(E8:E32)*((MOD(ROW(E8:E32), 8))= 1),(E8:E32),0))

Entered with cntl-shift-enter

--
Kevin Vaughn