Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jennifer72401

Default how to format alphanumeric cells as numbers

if i have a series of cells with numbers and letters (i.e. 43A or 33B, etc)
how can i get excel to see them only as numbers so when i graph them they
show up as 43 or 33 but also include the letter in the data label.

Right now I have to delete the text from the cells before i graph them, then
manually insert them in the data label after i create the graph. I'm hoping
there's away to graph it with the letter in tact.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme

Clearly, Excel cannot plot 43A; it must have a numeric value
Keep the column with 43A, 33B (I will assume 43A is in B2)
Make a new column with formulas
a) if you always have 2 digits use =--LEFT(B2,2)
b) if you can have variable numbers of digits but only one letter use
=--LEFT(B2,LEN(B2)-1)
Now make plot using the new column (you know how to use CTRL to select
non-contiguous data?)
Use Bovey's add-in to make data labels (it works with more than just XY
charts)
see http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm

best wishes
--