Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John

Default Unable to open a file from its icon in folder

Hi,

Within the last week or so I have bee unable to directly launch any excel
file from its icon in whatever folder it is stored in. I've had to resort to
opening the excel program then navigating to each file from the file/open
option. Does anybody have an idea why this has started to happen? By the way,
I've reinstalled the program in the hope that would cure the problem - no
such luck!

Regards,

John
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron de Bruin

Hi John

Try

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and
On the Windows Taskbar

1 ) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"John" wrote in message ...
Hi,

Within the last week or so I have bee unable to directly launch any excel
file from its icon in whatever folder it is stored in. I've had to resort to
opening the excel program then navigating to each file from the file/open
option. Does anybody have an idea why this has started to happen? By the way,
I've reinstalled the program in the hope that would cure the problem - no
such luck!

Regards,

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John

Hi Ron,

Thanks for that, the first solution worked a treat!

Regards,

John

"John" wrote in message ...
Hi,

Within the last week or so I have bee unable to directly launch any excel
file from its icon in whatever folder it is stored in. I've had to resort to
opening the excel program then navigating to each file from the file/open
option. Does anybody have an idea why this has started to happen? By the way,
I've reinstalled the program in the hope that would cure the problem - no
such luck!

Regards,

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kitchenguy

John,
I'm having exactly the same problem. Hopefully someone can help with an
easy fix.

Cathy

--
Thanks for your help

"John" wrote:

Hi,

Within the last week or so I have bee unable to directly launch any excel
file from its icon in whatever folder it is stored in. I've had to resort to
opening the excel program then navigating to each file from the file/open
option. Does anybody have an idea why this has started to happen? By the way,
I've reinstalled the program in the hope that would cure the problem - no
such luck!

Regards,

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kitchenguy

Ron, worked like a charm for me too! Been stressing over this one for over
two weeks. You can't imagine how much I appreciate your help.

Cathy

--
Thanks for your help