Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Louis

Default Extracting single piece of data

Quickbooks exports our item list as such:

CIRCUIT CONTROL VALVES- Pneumad:Pressure
Regulators:11-Series:Relieving:R11-RK-66

the ":" is the category the item to the right is in.

All I need from this is the part # at the end, the R11-RK-66. It will
always be at the end of the string. the problem is there are 12K parts, so I
can't just "text to column" and go that route, it would take forever. I need
a formula or macro I think to take out just the last item after the last ":"
A small kicker in this is some items may have 4 categories, some may have 2,
some may have 0.
Thanks in advance for any ideas...

--
Louis
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Louis

Very close. It actually works when there are categories before the item, but
for many items there is no category before it, for example, here is a typical
couple of rows:

1) AIR JETS- Pneumadyne:Air Jet Kit:AJK-HAN
2) AJB-1
3) CIRCUIT CONTROL VALVES- Pneumad:Pressure Regulators:11-Series:R11-RK-66
4) CIRCUIT CONTROL VALVES- Pneumad:Quick Exhaust:QE11-M-78

The items on the end are the part #'s I need. So the formula worked, I just
need something additional for the rows where there is no ":".

Many thanks.

--
Louis

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

This returns all of the text after the last occurrence of ":"
For a value in A1

B1:
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-LOOKUP(LEN(A1),FIND(":",A1,ROW(INDEX($A:$A,1,1):IN DEX($A:$A,LEN(A1),1)))))

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Louis" wrote:

Quickbooks exports our item list as such:

CIRCUIT CONTROL VALVES- Pneumad:Pressure
Regulators:11-Series:Relieving:R11-RK-66

the ":" is the category the item to the right is in.

All I need from this is the part # at the end, the R11-RK-66. It will
always be at the end of the string. the problem is there are 12K parts, so I
can't just "text to column" and go that route, it would take forever. I need
a formula or macro I think to take out just the last item after the last ":"
A small kicker in this is some items may have 4 categories, some may have 2,
some may have 0.
Thanks in advance for any ideas...

--
Louis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

If Ron's formula works for you in every case except when there is no colon
in the string, then maybe you could just use a Helper column and CONCATENATE
a leading colon into every string.....it won't hurt the ones that already
have some and will allow the ones that don't to work.....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Louis" wrote:

Quickbooks exports our item list as such:

CIRCUIT CONTROL VALVES- Pneumad:Pressure
Regulators:11-Series:Relieving:R11-RK-66

the ":" is the category the item to the right is in.

All I need from this is the part # at the end, the R11-RK-66. It will
always be at the end of the string. the problem is there are 12K

parts, so I
can't just "text to column" and go that route, it would take forever.

I need
a formula or macro I think to take out just the last item after the

last ":"
A small kicker in this is some items may have 4 categories, some may

have 2,
some may have 0.
Thanks in advance for any ideas...

--
Louis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Louis

that does work, yes. It adds several steps but I've made it work on this
project today. The problem is I will need to do this everyday, and if there
was a simple extension to the formula it would decrease the likelyhood of any
errors. But this definitely works and I really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
--
Louis

"Louis" wrote:

Quickbooks exports our item list as such:

CIRCUIT CONTROL VALVES- Pneumad:Pressure
Regulators:11-Series:Relieving:R11-RK-66

the ":" is the category the item to the right is in.

All I need from this is the part # at the end, the R11-RK-66. It will
always be at the end of the string. the problem is there are 12K

parts, so I
can't just "text to column" and go that route, it would take forever.

I need
a formula or macro I think to take out just the last item after the

last ":"
A small kicker in this is some items may have 4 categories, some may

have 2,
some may have 0.
Thanks in advance for any ideas...

--
Louis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Actually, Chuck is on the right track!

Try this:

For a value in A1 (that may or may not have a colon):
B1:
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-LOOKUP(LEN(A1),FIND(":",":"&A1,ROW(INDEX($A:$A,1,1 ):INDEX($A:$A,LEN(A1),1))))+1)

The formula prepends a colon in the search section of the formula,
guaranteeing that a colon will be found.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Louis" wrote:

Quickbooks exports our item list as such:

CIRCUIT CONTROL VALVES- Pneumad:Pressure
Regulators:11-Series:Relieving:R11-RK-66

the ":" is the category the item to the right is in.

All I need from this is the part # at the end, the R11-RK-66. It will
always be at the end of the string. the problem is there are 12K

parts, so I
can't just "text to column" and go that route, it would take forever.

I need
a formula or macro I think to take out just the last item after the

last ":"
A small kicker in this is some items may have 4 categories, some may

have 2,
some may have 0.
Thanks in advance for any ideas...

--
Louis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

That is UNBELIEVABLE Ron........I stand in awe!.....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Ron Coderre" wrote in message
Actually, Chuck is on the right track!

Try this:

For a value in A1 (that may or may not have a colon):
B1:

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-LOOKUP(LEN(A1),FIND(":",":"&A1,ROW(INDEX($A:$A,1,1 ):INDEX(
$A:$A,LEN(A1),1))))+1)

"Louis" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

I'm happy to "help you off the Railroad Tracks" <g, but Ron's new formula
is "WAY COOL".....I don't have Excel working here tonight to give it a spin,
but it sure does look good........let us know how it does.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Louis" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Chuck

What's really awesome is the collaboration in these groups. The base formula
I posted is a Harlan enhanced version of a formula I posted a while back.

***********
Best Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"CLR" wrote:

That is UNBELIEVABLE Ron........I stand in awe!.....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Ron Coderre" wrote in message
Actually, Chuck is on the right track!

Try this:

For a value in A1 (that may or may not have a colon):
B1:

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-LOOKUP(LEN(A1),FIND(":",":"&A1,ROW(INDEX($A:$A,1,1 ):INDEX(
$A:$A,LEN(A1),1))))+1)