Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alec H

Default Data Lookup using find and filtered dropdowns

Hi,

I am trying to create a lookup sheet within a workbook that will allow
the user to identify (and extract) the appropriate "record" (row of
cells) from a list. The database is of company details (Name, Address,
contacts, etc) and also trading details (turnover, account numbers,
etc).

All these records are contained within a single worksheet with each
company having a row (each row already has a unique reference number in
column A that I use for vlookup purposes elsewhere in the workbook).

What I would like to happen in the new worksheet is to allow the user
the following search method;

1. First a simple lookup input cell that will identify any records that
match the entered data, so as an example, if the user inputs the word
House in the "search cell" the next cell would then offer a dropdown
list showing the company name (column E in my workboork) of all records
containing the word house. This needs to be *regardless of which column
the search word appears*. Then, dependant on the input of the company
name dropdown, a further "filtered" dropdown will narrow down the
search further to the relevant branch (column F).

An example of the way this would work is;

1. Initial input into "search" cell = House

2. 1st Dropdown offers - Acme Ltd, Berties Sandwiches PLC, Harry's
Hiccupp Company (All of which have at least 1 branch with the word
"House" appearing somewhere in their row on the master list)

3. User selects company of choice from 1st dropdown = Harry's Hiccupp
Company

4. 2nd Dropdown offers - Burpsville, Windytown (the 2 branches of
Harry's Hiccupp Company with House in their entry)

5. The chosen record is then displayed on the worksheet.

Should the initial search cell *not* be used, I would like the
dropdowns to still function (although obviously the first would be
"unfiltered").

I hope the above makes sense.........

Thanks.

--