Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DTTODGG

Default Drop High and Low before calculation

Hello-

I need to take 5 numbers (each in separate cells) (they could be the same),
drop the highest and lowest and then add the remaining 3.

Can you help me?

5.5
4.5
4
3
5.5
=====
drop the 5.5 and 3
add the 4.5 + 3 + 5.5
total = 13

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ragdyer

Try this:

=SUM(A1:A5,-MAX(A1:A5),-MIN(A1:A5))

--
HTH,

RD

"DTTODGG" wrote in message
Hello-

I need to take 5 numbers (each in separate cells) (they could be the
same),
drop the highest and lowest and then add the remaining 3.

Can you help me?

5.5
4.5
4
3
5.5
=====
drop the 5.5 and 3
add the 4.5 + 3 + 5.5
total = 13

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dana DeLouis

Another option might be:
=3*TRIMMEAN(A1:A5,2/5)

where you are dropping 2 of the 5 (ie 2/5)
--
HTH. :)
Dana DeLouis

"DTTODGG" wrote in message
Hello-

I need to take 5 numbers (each in separate cells) (they could be the
same),
drop the highest and lowest and then add the remaining 3.

Can you help me?

5.5
4.5
4
3
5.5
=====
drop the 5.5 and 3
add the 4.5 + 3 + 5.5
total = 13

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
L. Howard Kittle

Another way that seems to do what you want.

=SUM(LARGE(A1:A5,{2,3,4}))

Returns 14 in your example. You give 13 as the correct sum, however you say
to drop the 5.5 and the 3 and then you added the 3 in your example.
Probably just a typo??

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"DTTODGG" wrote in message
Hello-

I need to take 5 numbers (each in separate cells) (they could be the
same),
drop the highest and lowest and then add the remaining 3.

Can you help me?

5.5
4.5
4
3
5.5
=====
drop the 5.5 and 3
add the 4.5 + 3 + 5.5
total = 13

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DTTODGG

OK - new twist,
now I have 7 scores and I need to drop the 2 highest and 2 lowest.
Can you help?

"DTTODGG" wrote in message
Hello-

I need to take 5 numbers (each in separate cells) (they could be the
same),
drop the highest and lowest and then add the remaining 3.

Can you help me?

5.5
4.5
4