Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
George Tattam

Default Linking Files

I have a set of budget files, one which is a consolidation of all the
others, achieved through links.

If copy this group of files to a new folder, on some occasions, the file
with the links still points to the files in the original location. Other
times it works fine.

My problem is, I don't know what I am doing right when it works and wrong
when it doesn't.

If any body can assist, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
flummi

That is because your cell references look like this:

='C:\[file1.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1

C:\ .. This is the path to your files and when you copy them to another
location Excel is not aware of that location.

You may need to modify your formulas to reflect the new path.

I was trying to construct the path in the formula from an input cell
but wasn't successful yet.

Hans

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
flummi

Sorry, another way would be to load all the files, the one with the
links and the linked ones. Then do not COPY the LINKED files to a new
location but SAVE them to a new location. That way Excel will adapt
your formulas on the sheet with the links. The old files will still be
at the original locations.

In my example I saved it to a folder "funfree" and this is what the
formula looks like afterwards:

='C:\funfree\[file1.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1

Seems to be the quickest way.

Hans