Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Carrie

Default Export notepad file to Excel

I have a text file in Notepad that I need to export to an Excel file, keeping
columns etc. Is there a way to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

"Carrie" wrote in message
I have a text file in Notepad that I need to export to an Excel file,
keeping
columns etc. Is there a way to do this?

In Excel, use File, Open to open your text file. The next thing you'll see
is the Text Import Wizard dialog box. Assuming your columns are only
separated by white space (no commas, etc), select "Fixed Width". This may
already be selected, since Excel does a fairly good job of guessing. Click
Next. At the bottom of the next dialog box, you'll see a sample of your
actual text, with vertical lines placed where Excel thinks the columns
should be separated. Move the lines if necessary. For columns 2, 3 etc, you
want the lines exactly to the left of the first character of each column.

Stop back here if you have any problems (with this - we can't help with your
tax return). :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Michael

Hi Carrie. The fields, columns in Excel, in your text file in notepad need
to be delimited by something - comma, semicolon, space, tab. To export to
Excel, open Excel and click on Open and select the notepad file. Follow the
text file import dialog instructions. HTH
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin