Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jake via OfficeKB.com

Default Formula for adding days to a date excluding weekends and holidays?

Ok I have done some searching on this forum and others but can't seem to find
the answer i am looking for so hopefully somebody can help me. I am trying
to setup a sheet that will produce production dates for me. My problem is
that we do not work on the weekends or holidays. I have one formula that
calculates the number of days a process takes to complete and I link that to
the date the previous process ended. For example if the last process ended
on a thursday and the next process takes 3 days I want the formula to skip
over the saturday and sunday when it calculates what day the process will
finish. I have tried to use the NETWORKDAYS function but I can't seem to get
that to work. Any help is greatly appreciated as I seem to be fairly
braindead today and cant figure it out myself. Thanks alot!!

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Formula for adding days to a date excluding weekends and holidays?

To add days to a date excluding weekends and holidays, you can use the WORKDAY function in Excel. Here's how:
[list=1][*] First, create a list of holidays in a separate range of cells. For example, you could create a list of holidays in cells A1:A10.[*] Next, enter the starting date in a cell. For example, you could enter the starting date in cell B1.[*] In the cell where you want to display the end date, enter the following formula: =WORKDAY(B1,3,A1:A10)

In this example, the formula adds 3 workdays (excluding weekends and holidays) to the starting date in cell B1, using the list of holidays in cells A1:A10.

You can adjust the formula as needed to add a different number of workdays or to use a different range of holiday dates.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BekkiM

Use the WORKDAY function instead:

A B C
1 Task Duration Completed
2 First Task 4 01/06/06
3 Task 2 6 =WORKDAY(C2,B3,HOLIDAYS)

Where "HOLIDAYS" is a named range of all of your holiday dates (see
http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html for details on naming ranges)

"Jake via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

Ok I have done some searching on this forum and others but can't seem to find
the answer i am looking for so hopefully somebody can help me. I am trying
to setup a sheet that will produce production dates for me. My problem is
that we do not work on the weekends or holidays. I have one formula that
calculates the number of days a process takes to complete and I link that to
the date the previous process ended. For example if the last process ended
on a thursday and the next process takes 3 days I want the formula to skip
over the saturday and sunday when it calculates what day the process will
finish. I have tried to use the NETWORKDAYS function but I can't seem to get
that to work. Any help is greatly appreciated as I seem to be fairly
braindead today and cant figure it out myself. Thanks alot!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tallyman00

Jake, I have xl3000 and the Excel Help seems straight forward. Just put
all your holidays in a range and include it in the formula:

NETWORKDAYS
Show All
Hide All
Returns the number of whole working days between start_date and
end_date. Working days exclude weekends and any dates identified in
holidays. Use NETWORKDAYS to calculate employee benefits that accrue
based on the number of days worked during a specific term.

NETWORKDAYS(start_date,end_date,holidays)

Important Dates should be entered by using the DATE function, or as
results of other formulas or functions. For example, use
DATE(2008,5,23) for the 23rd day of May, 2008. Problems can occur if
dates are entered as text.

Start_date is a date that represents the start date.

End_date is a date that represents the end date.

Holidays is an optional range of one or more dates to exclude from
the working calendar, such as state and federal holidays and floating
holidays. The list can be either a range of cells that contains the
dates or an array constant (array: Used to build single formulas that
produce multiple results or that operate on a group of arguments that
are arranged in rows and columns. An array range shares a common
formula; an array constant is a group of constants used as an
argument.) of the serial numbers that represent the dates.

Date Description
10/01/2008 Start date of project
3/01/2009 End date of project
11/26/2008 Holiday
12/4/2008 Holiday
1/21/2009 Holiday
Formula Description (Result)
=NETWORKDAYS(A2,A3) Number of workdays between the start and end date
above (108)
=NETWORKDAYS(A2,A3,A4) Number of workdays between the start and end
date above, excluding the first holiday (107)
=NETWORKDAYS(A2,A3,A4:A6) Number of workdays between the start and end
date above, excluding every holiday above (105)

--
tallyman00
tallyman00's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29971