Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike Rogers

Default Looking up

I have a project that is getting more complicated than I had anticipated. I
have a worksheet that has an input box used to input initials. The employee
inputs a password and an IF statement places the correct initials in the
correct cell. I currently have a nested IF statement to sort the three or
four different possibilities. The problem I have with this process is that
if the employee changes or if there is just a new one I have to rebuild the
IF statement to make it work for that employee. I need a look up formula to
do what the IF statement is doing. That way I can build a range that the
employee name would be added to and all would work.

Here is what I would build as a range:

Column D: ID ( Not sure if I need this part of the range)
Column E: Password
Column F: Name
Column G: Initials

Rows 16 through 50

I would name this range "Password"

I need a formula that will look up the password and return the initials.

I plan to build a user form to enter the information into the range as needed.

Thanks for ANY help given.

Mike Rogers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

Try this:

assuming the password to lookup is in A1
=VLOOKUP(A1,$E$16:$G$50,3,0)

HTH
Jean-Guy

"Mike Rogers" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike Rogers

pinmaster

Thanks for the reply. I get the ole #N/A error and the information is in
the range, I double checked the range and the password, I did use A1. What
could I have done wrong?

Mike Rogers

"Mike Rogers" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike Rogers

pinmaster

I figured it out!!! Some how when I copied and paste I picked up a "!"
after the first "(" just befroe "A1".
Works perfect! Thanks for the help!!!
On to the user form!!!

"Mike Rogers" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

I'm guessing that your range is not on the same worksheet as the formula so
you may need to make some ajustments.
i.e =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$E$16:$G$50,3,0)
and make sure A1 is the correct cell, I only use A1 as an example so yours
may be different, ajust accordingly.

If that is not the case then it may be text related, maybe an extra space or
a format issue, numbers formatted as text. Check those out and report back.

HTH
JG

"Mike Rogers" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

Glad to hear it. Here's a nice tutorial on user forms.

http://www.contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html

Good Luck

Regards
Jean-Guy

"Mike Rogers" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike Rogers

Thanks pinmaster, that is the one that I was going to use.
Thank you for working within this forum!!!