Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Arend

Default text import into excel 2000

HI,
Question about: Text import into EXCEL 2000.
I am using the text import wizard of Excel to open a Wordpad document. I
want every character to be put in a separate cell.

The wordpad document is saved as a .txt document in Windows ANSI, (font:
Courier), I am using the option "fixed width" (files are aligned in columns
wit spaces) of the text import wizard.

The user is asked to create line breaks. Every line break has to be entered
individually.
Is there a way to do this for the whole document at once, I mean
automatically after every character, in one manipulation ? The only way the
import wizard works in my hands is to give 256 mouse clicks, with the hazard
of skipping one (or more).

Does anyone have a suggestion ?

--
Arend
Haarlem, the Netherlands
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete

Are you saying that there aren't any line breaks in the file? Perhaps
you can load the file into Wordpad or Word and use Find & Replace to
insert line breaks at the appropriate place and then import the file
again.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Arend

Pete,
Thanks for your speedy response.
I tried your suggestion but that won't work. Here an example of what I want:
Every single character in the next lines needs to go into a new cell:
MAVMAPRTLLLLLSGALAL
MAVKAQRTLLLLLSGTLAL
MVVKAPTTLLZLLSKATAK

And those characters need also to be lined up vertically. The result is like
putting a grid over this block.
In reality the lines are much longer (up to 256 characters, hence the use of
wordpad or notepad instead of WORD) and there are hundreds of lines.
Hope this sparks another suggestion.
--
Arend
Haarlem

"Pete" schreef:

Are you saying that there aren't any line breaks in the file? Perhaps
you can load the file into Wordpad or Word and use Find & Replace to
insert line breaks at the appropriate place and then import the file
again.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete

I thought you were saying that you didn't have any line breaks in the
file.

Well, following on from the Notepad/Wordpad idea, can't you use Find &
Replace in Notepad/Wordpad to change "A" to "A," and "B" to "B,", "C"
to "C," etc up to "Z" to "Z,". Then when you import it to Excel, you
can specify comma as the delimiter in the Text Import Wizard.

You need to be careful that there are no more than 256 characters on a
line, as this is the number of columns in Excel.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Arend

Dear Pete,
Your are right, there are no line breaks. Introducing them by feeding every
letter a comma is a great idea. This means only 26 manipulations instead of
256.
Thanks a lot,
kind regards,
--
Arend
Haarlem

"Pete" schreef:

I thought you were saying that you didn't have any line breaks in the
file.

Well, following on from the Notepad/Wordpad idea, can't you use Find &
Replace in Notepad/Wordpad to change "A" to "A," and "B" to "B,", "C"
to "C," etc up to "Z" to "Z,". Then when you import it to Excel, you
can specify comma as the delimiter in the Text Import Wizard.

You need to be careful that there are no more than 256 characters on a
line, as this is the number of columns in Excel.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete

Thanks for the feedback. It shouldn't take too long to use Find and
Replace 26 times.

Pete