Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Moualla

Default Funktion

I have a problem in using the right Funktion in Excel. I'm trying to make a
formel that counts som cells ONLY if the first cell contains a name.!!!
Otherwise it wouldn't type anything in there. What funktion do I have to use
and how???
--
Moualla
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
daddylonglegs

Can you explain a bit more and use an example?

You can count cells based on content using COUNTIF or sum cells based
on their content or content of other cells using SUMIF - will that
help?

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SteveG

Moualla,

Assuming that the Name is in A1 and the range to count is A2:A15 then

=IF(A1="Your Name",COUNT(A2:A15),"")

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Moualla

Hi Daddy and thanx for your answer.
What I'm trying to do is to sum some cells if they contain a name.
=IF(K7=0;250+J7;250-K7)
I used this funktion, but the prolem is that it sums the other cells that I
don't want to sum.
I work in a school and I'm trying to make this cheet cause I give the
students some points every week. This week I have maybe two students but the
other week I may have three or five. So what I'm trying to do is to keep the
cheet as it is and find a funktion that helps me that if I typed a name in
the first cell then it sums the other point cells.
--
Moualla

"daddylonglegs" skrev:

Can you explain a bit more and use an example?

You can count cells based on content using COUNTIF or sum cells based
on their content or content of other cells using SUMIF - will that
help?

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504456

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Moualla

I tried a lot of ways, but it seems that nothing works. As I said that I work
in a school, the problem is that I don't know the name of the student who is
coming next week to me, so I have to have a function that allows me to use
mulitible names or a joker.
I tried with IF but it doesn't work. What shall I use???
--
Moualla

"SteveG" skrev:

Moualla,

Assuming that the Name is in A1 and the range to count is A2:A15 then

=IF(A1="Your Name",COUNT(A2:A15),"")

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504456

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SteveG

So you only want to sum if any name appears not a specific name? I
misunderstood your OP. You can use SUMPRODUCT or SUMIF. Can you be
more specific as to what range contains the names and what you want
excel to do if a name appears in that range?

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504456

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pgeraf

Hi Moualla,
I am not sure if I understood your query but I am assuming that you
have a column (say B2:B16) with some names AND blanks in it and another
column (C2:C16) downfilled with numbers, and what you want is to sum
ONLY the numbers in colum "C" that match any text (any name) in column
"B".
If that's it, my solution to the problem is putting this formula in
cell "A2":

=ISBLANK(B2) - and downfill column 'till cell "A16".

Then put this formula in cell "C18":

=SUMIF(A2:A16,"FALSE",C2:C16)

You may hide column "A" by rightclicking column header and then
clicking "Hide".

Hope it helps. :)

--
pgeraf