Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Morrigan

Default How to output the left most cell?

I have a row of cells, for instance A1:BZ1, which can be blank or
number. I am able to output the right most cell with the formula:

LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,A1:BZ1)

Is there a similar formula that allows outputting the left most cell
that contains a number?

Thank you in advanced.

--
Morrigan
Morrigan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7094

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:10:40 -0600, Morrigan
wrote:

I have a row of cells, for instance A1:BZ1, which can be blank or
number. I am able to output the right most cell with the formula:

LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,A1:BZ1)

Is there a similar formula that allows outputting the left most cell
that contains a number?

Thank you in advanced.

One method:

Use the *array* formula:

=INDEX(A1:BZ1,1,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(A1:BZ1),0))

To enter an array formula, after typing or pasting it into the cell, hold down
<ctrl<shift while hitting <enter. Excel will place braces {...} around the
formula.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Morrigan

wrote:

I have a row of cells, for instance A1:BZ1, which can be blank or
number. I am able to output the right most cell with the formula:

LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,A1:BZ1)

Is there a similar formula that allows outputting the left most cell
that contains a number?

Thank you in advanced.

One method:

Use the *array* formula:

=INDEX(A1:BZ1,1,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(A1:BZ1),0))

To enter an array formula, after typing or pasting it into the cell,
hold down
<ctrl<shift while hitting <enter. Excel will place braces {...}
around the
formula.

--ron

Thanks it works well.

I personally try to avoid using array formula. Is there a different
approach that does not require the use of array formula?

Thanks again.

--
Morrigan
Morrigan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7094
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504215

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete

You could try the lookup formula, but with a very small number, eg
1E-200.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:43:00 -0600, Morrigan
wrote:

Thanks it works well.

I personally try to avoid using array formula. Is there a different
approach that does not require the use of array formula?

Thanks again.

Possibly.

You could always write a UDF in VBA.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
daddylonglegs

Morrigan Wrote:

I personally try to avoid using array formula. Is there a different
approach that does not require the use of array formula?

=INDEX(A1:BZ1,MATCH(1,INDEX(ISNUMBER(A1:BZ1)+0,0), 0))

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:38:57 -0600, daddylonglegs
wrote:

Morrigan Wrote:

I personally try to avoid using array formula. Is there a different
approach that does not require the use of array formula?

=INDEX(A1:BZ1,MATCH(1,INDEX(ISNUMBER(A1:BZ1)+0,0) ,0))

Nice
--ron