Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jensenf

Default how do I automatically number cells

Starting in cell A2 and all the way down, how do you put in a formula so the
cells are numbered automatically? 1,2,3, etc. and if you delete cell 4, for
example you can reconfigure it so it'll number it again. I tried =row()
function but when I drag the formula down, it keeps the numbers the same.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

=ROW() is the function you need and it does work! If the numbers stay the
same, make sure that calculation is set to Automatic. You'll find this
under: Tools/Options/Calculation tab

Andy.

"jensenf" wrote in message
Starting in cell A2 and all the way down, how do you put in a formula so
the
cells are numbered automatically? 1,2,3, etc. and if you delete cell 4,
for
example you can reconfigure it so it'll number it again. I tried =row()
function but when I drag the formula down, it keeps the numbers the same.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bpeltzer

=row() should work fine. Do you have calculation set to manual? (Tools
Options, select the 'Calculation' tab and choose Automatic). If you need to
keep this set to Manual, you can recalc as needed by pressing F9.

"jensenf" wrote:

Starting in cell A2 and all the way down, how do you put in a formula so the
cells are numbered automatically? 1,2,3, etc. and if you delete cell 4, for
example you can reconfigure it so it'll number it again. I tried =row()
function but when I drag the formula down, it keeps the numbers the same.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Try this:
A2: =MAX($A$1:OFFSET(A2,-1,,,))+1

Copy that formula down as far as you need.

Does that help?

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro