Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rebecca

Default #NAME? Problem

Greetings. I have checked the help files, but I have not been able to find
the answer. I am using EXCEL 2003. I have several columns that contain only
"words" that do not require any calculations. Some "words" look like this:
"+OWBI71YM" (but without the quotes). As you can see there is a plus sign in
front of the word. But this word appears like this in the column: "#NAME?"
(but without the quotes). What can I do to turn off all possible
calculations in these columns. I am new to EXCEL, so please explain in easy
English. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
beechum1

You would like the text to show exactly as entered. Select your range,
cell or cells, and right click, format, select the number tab, and
select text. This will display the text as

+OWBI71YM

Jeremy

--
beechum1
beechum1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30489

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
paul

you may have to pre format a new column as text,copy and paste your data into
that,make sure the original cells are formatted for text and copy back
--
paul
remove nospam for email addy!

"beechum1" wrote:

You would like the text to show exactly as entered. Select your range,
cell or cells, and right click, format, select the number tab, and
select text. This will display the text as

+OWBI71YM

Jeremy

--
beechum1
beechum1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30489
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=503595

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mikeopolo

If you are typing these words into the cell, put a single quote (') at
the beginning. Any help?

Regards
Mike

--
Mikeopolo
Mikeopolo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18570

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rebecca

Thanks Mike, but no, the words have already been typed. I have merely pasted
them into the cells. Oh, well.

"Mikeopolo" wrote:

If you are typing these words into the cell, put a single quote (') at
the beginning. Any help?

Regards
Mike

--
Mikeopolo
Mikeopolo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18570
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=503595

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Cutter

I believe I have a solution for you.

Select the range of cells containing your problem.
Now choose Edit from the menu bar
Select Find
For "Find What:" type an equal sign by itself
Make sure you have Formulas selected for the "Look in:" drop down
Now click on the "Replace" button
For "Replace with:" leave it blank
Now click on the "Replace All" button

That should do it

MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO FORMULAS IN YOUR SELECTED RANGE THAT YOU WANT TO
RETAIN AS FORMULAS

--
Cutter
Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9848

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Rebecca

ToolsOptionsTransition.

Uncheck the options in lower part of dialog screen.

With these checked, Excel thinks the "+" sign makes the entry a formula.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Mikeopolo" wrote:

If you are typing these words into the cell, put a single quote (') at
the beginning. Any help?

Regards
Mike

--
Mikeopolo
Mikeopolo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18570
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=503595

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Damon Longworth

Edit the cell and remove the +.

Excel thinks you are trying to enter a formula.

--
Damon Longworth

2006 East Coast Excel User Conference
April 19/21st, 2006
Holiday Inn, Boardwalk
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Early Bird Registration Now Open!!
www.ExcelUserConference.com

2006 UK Excel User Conference
Summer, 2006
London, England

"beechum1" wrote:

You would like the text to show exactly as entered. Select your
range,
cell or cells, and right click, format, select the number tab, and
select text. This will display the text as

+OWBI71YM

Jeremy

--
beechum1
beechum1's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rebecca

They can't be removed because they are part of the "words." This might be a
useful feature in Office 12, namely, you can turn off the calculation
function for words that have a minus, plus, etc., sign in front of them,
though such cases will be rare, of course. My two cents.

"beechum1" wrote:

You would like the text to show exactly as entered. Select your
range,
cell or cells, and right click, format, select the number tab, and
select text. This will display the text as

+OWBI71YM

Jeremy

--
beechum1
beechum1's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Try this, select the name errors by pressing F5, click special and select
formulas and uncheck everything but errors, click OK, then press ctrl + H,
in the find what box type

=+

and in the replace with box type

'+

so replace equal sign plus sign with apostrophe and plus sign
select replace all

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon