Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jambruins

Default Split text without using data-text to columns

I have the following in cells
D3: -2.5 -111
D4: +2.5 +101
D5: +10.5 -114
D6: -10.5 +104
D7: -8 +100
D8: +8 -110

Is there a formula I can enter into cell H3 that will give me just -2.5?
Note that all the cells aren't necessarily in the same format (some are X.5
and some are X). Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave O

This formula
=MID(D3,1,FIND(" ",D3,1)-1)
.... looks for the space in between the numbers, and pulls everything to
the left of the space.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Elkar

Assuming all of your cells follow the same format as Number - Space - Number,
then this will work to extract the first number before the space:

=LEFT(D3,FIND(" ",D3,1)-1)

HTH,
Elkar

"Jambruins" wrote:

I have the following in cells
D3: -2.5 -111
D4: +2.5 +101
D5: +10.5 -114
D6: -10.5 +104
D7: -8 +100
D8: +8 -110

Is there a formula I can enter into cell H3 that will give me just -2.5?
Note that all the cells aren't necessarily in the same format (some are X.5
and some are X). Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SVC

Assuming that in cell D3 you have a space after the first number and the cell
is formatted as text, in cell H3 type the following formula:
=MID(D3,1,FIND(" ",D#,1)-1) and copy down. Note that there is a single space
between the two quotation marks.

"Jambruins" wrote:

I have the following in cells
D3: -2.5 -111
D4: +2.5 +101
D5: +10.5 -114
D6: -10.5 +104
D7: -8 +100
D8: +8 -110

Is there a formula I can enter into cell H3 that will give me just -2.5?
Note that all the cells aren't necessarily in the same format (some are X.5
and some are X). Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyer

One way:

=MID(D3,FIND(" ",D3)+1,100)
--
HTH,

RD

"Dave O" wrote:

This formula
=MID(D3,1,FIND(" ",D3,1)-1)
.... looks for the space in between the numbers, and pulls everything to
the left of the space.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dana DeLouis

...Split text ...

If D3 does in fact have "Text", then a possible alternative...

=IMREAL(D3& "j")

HTH. :)
--
Dana DeLouis