Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jennifer

Default How do I sort in Excel alphabetically?

Hi. I have a spreadsheet that deals mostly with text. I have a column that
has different cities listed in each cell. When I select that column and hit
the A-Z sort button, it is not working, even after I select the expand the
sort selection. Or sometimes it will sort everything BUT the first item.
Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete

You should avoid using the sort buttons.

Instead, you should highlight the complete range that you want to sort
(CTRL_A will often get this okay), then use Data | Sort. You can now
specify which column to sort on (up to 3 columns) and whether to sort
in ascending or descending order. You can also specify if your range
begins with a header row - which will be the reason for everything but
the first item being sorted if you use the buttons.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyeR

I strongly advise against ever using those auto-sort toolbar buttons.

In fact, I have removed them from the machines of all my users at all my
locations, and have not received any more complaints of jumbled data due to
mis-sorting.
XL sorts correctly with those buttons most of the time, BUT ... *NOT* all of
the time, and one bad experience is more then enough.

Manually select the *entire* range that you wish to include in the sort and
then use,
<Data <Sort
And make sure that you specify whether or not you have a 'header' row, which
was your problem when you say that the first row wasn't included in the
sort.

RD