Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken Zenachon

Default Format Row If Cell Contains Even Number

I'm creating a guest list.
On this list, persons living at the same address are given a common ID
number, unique to that address. I enter this number in column A. For
readability I want records for even-numbered households to have a
format of my choosing.

I tried using condidtional format by selecting all the rows and
entering the formula like this:
Formula is =ISEVEN($A1)

This results in an error: "You may not use references to other
worksheets or workbooks for Conditional Formatting criterea".

What am I doing wrong?

]-[

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mark Lincoln

Ken,

Try this instead:

=(MOD($A1,2)=0)

Works for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

In conditional formatting use:

condition 1: formula is: =MOD(ROW(),2) ....for odd numbered rows and
condition 2: formula is: =MOD(ROW(),2)-1 ....for even numbered rows

HTH
JG

"Ken Zenachon" wrote:

I'm creating a guest list.
On this list, persons living at the same address are given a common ID
number, unique to that address. I enter this number in column A. For
readability I want records for even-numbered households to have a
format of my choosing.

I tried using condidtional format by selecting all the rows and
entering the formula like this:
Formula is =ISEVEN($A1)

This results in an error: "You may not use references to other
worksheets or workbooks for Conditional Formatting criterea".

What am I doing wrong?

]-[

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

You're doing nothing wrong other than trying to use another workbook.

ISEVEN is a Function from the Analysis Toolpak add-in hence the "other
workbooks" message.

Try the formula given by Mark.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 19 Jan 2006 14:46:18 -0800, "Ken Zenachon" wrote:

I'm creating a guest list.
On this list, persons living at the same address are given a common ID
number, unique to that address. I enter this number in column A. For
readability I want records for even-numbered households to have a
format of my choosing.

I tried using condidtional format by selecting all the rows and
entering the formula like this:
Formula is =ISEVEN($A1)

This results in an error: "You may not use references to other
worksheets or workbooks for Conditional Formatting criterea".

What am I doing wrong?

]-[

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken Zenachon

Thanks, Mark, that works very well!
How come my idea didn't cut it?

]-[

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mark Lincoln

Ken:

From what Gord wrote it appears that the Analysis Toolpak is actually a

separate workbook. Since ISEVEN is from the Analysis Toolpak, you
can't refer to it from your workbook when using Conditional Formatting.
Bummer, that.

I'm glad I was able to help you out.

Gord:

Thanks for the explanation. I'll bet it will help me in the future.