Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CSUFAlex

Default Excel 2000 Auto Opens 24 files on startup

Hello. I am having a problem with excel. Whenever I start excel, or double
click an excel spreadsheet to open, it automatically starts 24 excel files.
I have tried looking in the xlstart folder for any templates or anything of
the sort, but did not find anything.

Any help or suggestions in stopping this from happening would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

ToolsOptionsGeneral.

Delete any path in "at startup open all file in".

Older versions...."Alternate startup file location".

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:17:02 -0800, "CSUFAlex"
wrote:

Hello. I am having a problem with excel. Whenever I start excel, or double
click an excel spreadsheet to open, it automatically starts 24 excel files.
I have tried looking in the xlstart folder for any templates or anything of
the sort, but did not find anything.

Any help or suggestions in stopping this from happening would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Hi Alex

Take a look at ToolsOptionsGeneralAt startup, open all files in
Remove any folder name in that location.
This is the wording in XL2003.
I believe in earlier versions, it is names Alternate startup location.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"CSUFAlex" wrote in message
Hello. I am having a problem with excel. Whenever I start excel, or
double
click an excel spreadsheet to open, it automatically starts 24 excel
files.
I have tried looking in the xlstart folder for any templates or
anything of
the sort, but did not find anything.

Any help or suggestions in stopping this from happening would be
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CSUFAlex

Hi Gord,

Excel 2000 does not have the "at startup open all files in" Option in the
general tab.

Also, the alternate startup file location path is blank...

Cheers

CSUFAlex

wrote:

Hello. I am having a problem with excel. Whenever I start excel, or double
click an excel spreadsheet to open, it automatically starts 24 excel files.
I have tried looking in the xlstart folder for any templates or anything of
the sort, but did not find anything.

Any help or suggestions in stopping this from happening would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

OK

Are you sure you are looking in the correct XLSTART folder.

Office often creates more than one when installing.

Do a search for xlstart and see what comes up.

In Windows XP and Office 2003 my correct XLSTART folder is at

"C:\Documents and Settings\Gord\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel"

There is also one at

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\XLSTART but it doesn't do anything I
can see.

Gord

wrote:

Hello. I am having a problem with excel. Whenever I start excel, or double
click an excel spreadsheet to open, it automatically starts 24 excel files.
I have tried looking in the xlstart folder for any templates or anything of
the sort, but did not find anything.

Any help or suggestions in stopping this from happening would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Try determining where those 24 files are coming from:

After one opens, put this in any cell:
=cell("Filename",a1)

You'll see where they're coming from.

Then you can verify that that folder doesn't exist under tools|Options|General
tab.

CSUFAlex wrote:

Hello. I am having a problem with excel. Whenever I start excel, or double
click an excel spreadsheet to open, it automatically starts 24 excel files.
I have tried looking in the xlstart folder for any templates or anything of
the sort, but did not find anything.

Any help or suggestions in stopping this from happening would be appreciated.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CSUFAlex

Hi, networked environment was backing up the profile to a server, which is
where the Application Data/Microsoft/Excel/XLStart items were.

Thanks for the help...

CSUFAlex

wrote:

Hello. I am having a problem with excel. Whenever I start excel, or double
click an excel spreadsheet to open, it automatically starts 24 excel files.
I have tried looking in the xlstart folder for any templates or anything of
the sort, but did not find anything.

Any help or suggestions in stopping this from happening would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CSUFAlex

Dave,

That did the trick, I found the location...thanks a bunch!!

CSUFAlex