Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Andrew

Default Shortcut Key for Auto-Fill?

I know that I can copy a formula down a column by clicking and dragging the
auto-fill handle or by double clicking the auto-fill handle, but does anyone
know a way to do that with a short-cut key or command? Thanks,

Andrew
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Andrew

Enter a formula in A1.

Select namebox and type in A1:A456 and <ENTER

Now CTRL + D

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:09:02 -0800, Andrew
wrote:

I know that I can copy a formula down a column by clicking and dragging the
auto-fill handle or by double clicking the auto-fill handle, but does anyone
know a way to do that with a short-cut key or command? Thanks,

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyer

Sticking exclusively with the keyboard, try something like this:

Arrow keys to the required cell to start in, say C5,
Then <F5,
Type C100,
Then <Shift <Enter,
Then <F2,
Type in your formula,
Then <Ctrl <Enter

Is that what you're looking for?

RD

"Andrew" wrote in message
I know that I can copy a formula down a column by clicking and dragging

the
auto-fill handle or by double clicking the auto-fill handle, but does

anyone
know a way to do that with a short-cut key or command? Thanks,

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Andrew

Thanks for the tip. That works it's not quite exactly what I was looking for.
I don't think there is a way to simply use a short cut key to auto-fill a
formula down a column to the end of an existing list.

Here's a specific example: There is data in Cell A1 and Cell B1. Cell C1 has
the fomula =A1*B1. There might be data down to cells A1000 and B1000 or A5000
and B5000, that's unknown. It is easy enough to select cell C1 and
double-click the auto-fill handle to send the formula all the way down column
C until the last row of data in columns A and B. I'm looking for a short-cut
command that would mimic double-clicking on the auto-fill handle.

I though about recoding a macro but when the macro records the double-click
action on the auto-fill handle it records the action for the specific range
like C1:C1000 instead of xlEnd, so the macro would need to be recoded so it
could be used again on different ranges.

Thanks for the time to make your suggestions. Those definitely work for
someone who just wants to use the keyboard.

Andrew

"Andrew" wrote in message
I know that I can copy a formula down a column by clicking and dragging

the
auto-fill handle or by double clicking the auto-fill handle, but does

anyone
know a way to do that with a short-cut key or command? Thanks,

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

Hi Andrew,
Ctrl+D, you can specify the range in the range box so you still have to have
a hand off of the keyboard. More on shortcut keys
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shortx2k.htm

You can simulate the double-click on the fill-handle with a macro that you can
assign a shortcut key to see
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm#filld choice of two macros

and if you aren't really don't have Suriphobia, Murophobia, Musophobia (fear of mice)
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm

Personally if I can keep my right hand on the mouse and the left hand on the keyboard, I
I can do most of things that are not actually data entry.
---
HTH,