Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
craig-o

Default Probably stupid, but I can't get rid of a line between two colums

Hello all.

I've been tasked to make some modifications to an Excel spreadsheet
that was developed by another individual. The sheet has got a thin
line that separates two columns I would like to get rid of. In this
sheet the gridlines are turned off. I'm working in Excel 2003.

Things I've tried:
1. Cleared borders using the border tool.
2. Erased borders using the eraser in the "drawn borders" tool.
3. Tried drawing a "no border" with the "drawn borders" tool.
4. I've tried copying cells that do not have a line like this and
pasteing them in these cells.
5. I've tried poking around with the drawing toolbar to see if there is
a drawing line that was insert.
6. I've unhid columns to make sure there wasn't another column there I
wasn't seeing.

There has to be another way to create horizontal lines I'm not thinking
of. I would appreciate any ideas on other things I can try to eliminate
this.

Thanks in advance.

--
craig-o
craig-o's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27588

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pierre

craig-o wrote:
[...]

Try selecting the entire area around the cells with the line.
Edit
Clear
Formats, or all.
(If you chose "All"; you might have to reformat the data within the
cells you just deleted the line in).

Pierre

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
craig-o

Thanks for the response Pierre. Just tried your suggestion, but it did
not work either.

--
craig-o
craig-o's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27588
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=503062

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

Default Probably stupid, but I can't get rid of a line between two col

Another thing to try is to make sure the lines (either horizontal or
vertical) are not resulting from using a print preview view. This view will
show lines (that aren't really there) to demarcate print boundries.
--
Gary's Student

"Pierre" wrote:

craig-o wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Linda

Hi craig-o,

I would imagine it is the result of either split or more than likely frozen
panes. Use the window pull-down menu and if either are in use...your option
will be Remove split or Unfreeze Panes. These are both a toggle on/off
option.

Hope this is the cure!
Thanks.

--
Linda

"craig-o" wrote:

Thanks for the response Pierre. Just tried your suggestion, but it did
not work either.

--
craig-o
craig-o's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27588
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=503062

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pierre

craig-o wrote:
Thanks for the response Pierre. Just tried your suggestion, but it did
not work either.

--
craig-o
craig-o's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27588
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=503062

The only other thing that comes to mind, is some wayward VBS code.
Have a look see by right clicking the sheet tab, and selecting view
code. Clear anything that might resemble a formatting section. (Copy
your work before clearing anything there.)

Pierre

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Craig

Sounds like you have WindowFrezze Panes enabled.

Uncheck it and see what happens to the line.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:25:44 -0600, craig-o
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
craig-o

Unfreeze pane worked! I don't know why I didn't think of that, but I'm
glad you all did. I can't imagine why there would be a need to freeze
panes at this point in the sheet, but who knows.

Thanks all!