Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
agilitygrandma

Default saving to CD

Is there any way to save excel workbooks to CD's. Someone at Sonic told me
that Excel workbooks can only be saved to DVD's. Is this true? I don't
have a DVD burner, just a CD burner. HELP!

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Paul B

Yes you can save excel on a CD, but you should save the file to your hard
drive first and then put it on a CD, never work with a file off a CD, DVD,
Floppy.... always work form the hard drive
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"agilitygrandma" wrote in message
Is there any way to save excel workbooks to CD's. Someone at Sonic told
me
that Excel workbooks can only be saved to DVD's. Is this true? I don't
have a DVD burner, just a CD burner. HELP!

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dlw

Yes, you can do that with a CD burner. You first need to format the CD with
your burner program, and it must be a CD-RW CD, not a CD-R. That makes the
CD into basically a big floppy disk, you can save and copy files to it like
your hard drive.
HOWEVER, this format is not compatible with all computers- if you try to
open it on another computer it might not work. A better way is to just save
the file to your hard drive, then use the burner progam to burn it to a CD-R.

"agilitygrandma" wrote:

Is there any way to save excel workbooks to CD's. Someone at Sonic told me
that Excel workbooks can only be saved to DVD's. Is this true? I don't
have a DVD burner, just a CD burner. HELP!

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

1. Save the workbook to you local harddrive (say Desktop)
2. Use your CD burn s/w to transfer the workbook to CD
--
Gary's Student

"agilitygrandma" wrote:

Is there any way to save excel workbooks to CD's. Someone at Sonic told me
that Excel workbooks can only be saved to DVD's. Is this true? I don't
have a DVD burner, just a CD burner. HELP!

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

CD-RW are much more expensive, CD-R are cheap and very suitable
for backup. The only problem is the method/application chosen for backing up your files.
If you use File Manager to move files they will be created as Read-Only
on a CD-R. If you use XCOPY then the read only bit will not be set an
things are a lot easier.

Not having a DVD and having too much data, I'm zipping directories and
copying those to a CD-R. Not much sense in zipping photographs as they
are already compressed. Between zipping and the hardware compression
I can put a lot more data on a CD-R but am not too good at predicting how
much will go out there so I do the directories one at a time and make sure
there is enough space first.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm
which provides information on removing the read only bit, if you have already
backed up to a CD-R and the read-only bit was set..
---
HTH,

"agilitygrandma" wrote:

Is there any way to save excel workbooks to CD's. Someone at Sonic told me
that Excel workbooks can only be saved to DVD's. Is this true? I don't
have a DVD burner, just a CD burner. HELP!

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
agilitygrandma

I'm really confused - I did save the file to my hard drive first (I've tried
it in my documents, on the desktop and on the C drive) and can save the Excel
workbook to a CD, but then can't retrieve the information back, so it does me
no good. HELP! I don't ever work on the spreadsheets from the CD, but
just want to have the information backed up in case the hard drive fails or
something. That happened recently and this is a new computer, with a CD
burner but not a DVD burner.

"Paul B" wrote:

Yes you can save excel on a CD, but you should save the file to your hard
drive first and then put it on a CD, never work with a file off a CD, DVD,
Floppy.... always work form the hard drive
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"agilitygrandma" wrote in message
Is there any way to save excel workbooks to CD's. Someone at Sonic told
me
that Excel workbooks can only be saved to DVD's. Is this true? I don't
have a DVD burner, just a CD burner. HELP!

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Paul B

"... can save the Excel workbook to a CD, but then can't retrieve the
information back..."

What happens when you try to use the file? is it read only, see Davis's
answer, can you put other file types on the CD and then use them? Another
option would be a flash drive, just got one and man is it fast!