Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pierre

Default Mail merge numbers are HUGE

Maybe someone here knows.

In merging Excel data to a sheet in MS Word, the original numbers in
Excel are very simple:
examples: 2.16 or 4.98 or 108.45. (I've even re-entered the numbers in
this column to be just sure the data length is as shown.)
However, upon merging the column containing these numbers, the
resulting display is something like 2.1599999999999974+2 or
4.9799999999999999.

I looked briefly at Word's MERGEFIELD, but the nomenclature for
inserting a switch was not very clear. This is a head scratcher. Any
ideas?

Pierre

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

If you do not require fractional accuracy you can open up your Excel
workbook, click on Tools in the menu, and the selection Options from the
drop-down menu.

In the dialog box, click the calculation tab and locate the Precision As
Displayed checkbox, located in the lower- left segment of the tab page.
Click to turn this on, and this will change the values in the workbook to
their displayed values. When you click OK you get a warning message stating
that the values will be permanently altered, click OK to apply the change.

However, as this does change values in your workbook, you might want to make
a backup before proceeding.

--
Kevin Backmann

"Pierre" wrote:

Maybe someone here knows.

In merging Excel data to a sheet in MS Word, the original numbers in
Excel are very simple:
examples: 2.16 or 4.98 or 108.45. (I've even re-entered the numbers in
this column to be just sure the data length is as shown.)
However, upon merging the column containing these numbers, the
resulting display is something like 2.1599999999999974+2 or
4.9799999999999999.

I looked briefly at Word's MERGEFIELD, but the nomenclature for
inserting a switch was not very clear. This is a head scratcher. Any
ideas?

Pierre

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Debra Dalgleish posted this to a similar question:

There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you:

Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...164951033.aspx

And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill
has instructions he

http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/...ngWord2002.htm

about half way down the page.

Maybe it'll be easier to understand.

Pierre wrote:

Maybe someone here knows.

In merging Excel data to a sheet in MS Word, the original numbers in
Excel are very simple:
examples: 2.16 or 4.98 or 108.45. (I've even re-entered the numbers in
this column to be just sure the data length is as shown.)
However, upon merging the column containing these numbers, the
resulting display is something like 2.1599999999999974+2 or
4.9799999999999999.

I looked briefly at Word's MERGEFIELD, but the nomenclature for
inserting a switch was not very clear. This is a head scratcher. Any
ideas?

Pierre

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pierre

Dave Peterson wrote:
Debra Dalgleish posted this to a similar question:

There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you:

Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...164951033.aspx

And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill
has instructions he

http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/...ngWord2002.htm

about half way down the page.

Maybe it'll be easier to understand.

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I was able to eliminate the
problem.

Pierre