Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kylie Rose

Default change value in a cell according to another cells value

Please help me....
Example:
I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?

Also I would like to hide a column and only show cells from that column in
the row that I apply value to in another cell of the same row. Essentially
hiding the whole column and only showing value in a row when the row is in
use.

Please help me, I want to create something for a job interview and can't
work it out!

Thank you so much whoever can answer this.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

"Kylie Rose" wrote:
.. I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?

If the lookup list (1 = $50, 2 = $100, etc) isn't too long

Try in D1:
=IF(A1="","",IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,{1;2;3},0)),"No match",
VLOOKUP(A1,{1,50;2,100;3,120},2,0)))
Copy D1 down as far as required

(I don't have a suggestion for your 2nd Q, sorry)
--
Max
Singapore

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?

=LOOKUP(A1,{0,"";1,50;2,100;3,120})

Also I would like to hide a column and only show cells from that column in
the row that I apply value to in another cell of the same row. Essentially
hiding the whole column and only showing value in a row when the row is in
use.

You can do that using conditional formatting but you'd need to provide more
specific details.

Biff

"Kylie Rose" wrote in message
Please help me....
Example:
I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?

Also I would like to hide a column and only show cells from that column in
the row that I apply value to in another cell of the same row. Essentially
hiding the whole column and only showing value in a row when the row is in
use.

Please help me, I want to create something for a job interview and can't
work it out!

Thank you so much whoever can answer this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

=LOOKUP(A1,{0,"";1,50;2,100;3,120})

If col A contains numbers higher than 3, I'm not sure if
the result returned: 120 would be a mite misleading here ?
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kylie Rose

Thank you very much!!!!!
You're excellent!
Cheers
Kylie

Hi!

"Kylie Rose" wrote in message
Please help me....
Example:
I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?

Also I would like to hide a column and only show cells from that column in
the row that I apply value to in another cell of the same row. Essentially
hiding the whole column and only showing value in a row when the row is in
use.

Please help me, I want to create something for a job interview and can't
work it out!

Thank you so much whoever can answer this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kylie Rose

Thank you heaps!!
Help much appreciated!
Cheers
Kylie

"Max" wrote:

"Kylie Rose" wrote:
.. I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?

If the lookup list (1 = $50, 2 = $100, etc) isn't too long

Try in D1:
=IF(A1="","",IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,{1;2;3},0)),"No match",
VLOOKUP(A1,{1,50;2,100;3,120},2,0)))
Copy D1 down as far as required

(I don't have a suggestion for your 2nd Q, sorry)
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A

I don't see anything that mentions values higher than 3.

Biff

"Max" wrote in message
=LOOKUP(A1,{0,"";1,50;2,100;3,120})

If col A contains numbers higher than 3, I'm not sure if
the result returned: 120 would be a mite misleading here ?
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

"Biff" wrote:
I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A

I don't see anything that mentions values higher than 3.

Agreed. But I was hinting at the possibility
of a "wrong" input of a number higher than
what is mentioned in the OP
(the built-in "error trap" part of it)

Anyway, the OP seems happy with both options <g
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895