Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Greg

Default Comparing An Array in VBA

To all those VBA experts out there, I've written a simple macro in
VBA. The purpose is to alert the user if they encounter a value that
isn't currently in an array. They way I did this is that I compared
the value to each piece of the array within a nested loop. Is there a
way to determine if the value is in the array without having to compare
each piece of the array. If so, what's the function.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Does upper/lower case matter?

If no:

dim myArr as Variant
dim myVal as Variant
dim res as variant

myarr = array("a","b","xyz",1,3,6)
myval = "xyz" 'or whatever

res = application.match(myval,myarr,0)
if isnumber(res) then
msgbox "It's in the array
else
msgbox "it's not"
end if

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Greg

Dave,

Thanks. That woked, although I had to replace isnumber with isnumeric.

Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Oops. Sorry.