-   -   How do you cross reference different speadsheets? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/65952-how-do-you-cross-reference-different-speadsheets.html)

Shae

How do you cross reference different speadsheets?

I wanted to know how to cross reference 2 different speadsheets to look for
similar or matching information.

chip_pyp

How do you cross reference different speadsheets?

basically the formual would look like ='[workbook name.xls]spredsheet'!then
the on the sheet you are looking for with $in front of the letter and $in
front of the number

i.e. ='[Test 2006 Report .xls]Test 1'!$A$42

"Shae" wrote:

I wanted to know how to cross reference 2 different speadsheets to look for
similar or matching information.

David McRitchie

How do you cross reference different speadsheets?

Hi Chip,
My guess is that you want to use VLOOKUP Worksheet Function\
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/vlookup.htm
and since your name is Chip perhaps also
Lookups (Chip Pearson)
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/lookups.htm#ClosestMatch
---
HTH,

"Shae" wrote:

I wanted to know how to cross reference 2 different speadsheets to look for
similar or matching information.

David McRitchie

How do you cross reference different speadsheets?

oops should work for people named Shae as well. <grin