Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.access
Peter K

Default Excel or Access for building front end to small data-set?

Hello,
I'm relatively unexperienced in both Excel and Access, but have a small
assignment for a company -

They have an Excel spreadsheet with about 5000 cells describing the
tools each employee has and where the tools are located.

My job is to make a front end that can run relatively simple queries on
the data via buttons. Both data and frontend should be easy to
distribute via e-mail to others. Every reader/ user will have a more or
less recent version of MS Office installed.

Is Excel a suitable tool for this, or should I try to convert the data
to Access? What would you do?

Regards,
Peter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.access
Dave Peterson

If I were doing it, I would dump the front end completely.

I'd apply Data|filter|autofilter to the range of data.

I'd show the users how to use those filters -- especially Custom and contains
and how to use data|filter|showall to get things back.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.access
Peter K

Dave Peterson wrote:
If I were doing it, I would dump the front end completely.

I'd apply Data|filter|autofilter to the range of data.

I'd show the users how to use those filters -- especially Custom and contains
and how to use data|filter|showall to get things back.

A filter seems like a good idea. I hope I'll find a way to link these to
some kind of buttons and a controlled "graphical listing". Suggestions
appreciated :)

- Peter