Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gazzypops

Default Can you apply split colour formatting to the same cell?

Hi, I'm looking to apply more than one colour format to the same cell, split
diagonally from right to left (one colour being orange, the other being
white/uncoloured). I don't want stripes, just two blocks of colour making up
the cell background.

Slightly bizarre question, I know, but it's for a work diary for a
department with colour representing 'busy' and white/uncoloured representing
'available'. As I'm busy for the first half of the day, I want to split the
cell in half. At the moment I just have a diagonal line and the whole cell in
orange, but wanted to make the 'pm' half of the cell to be clear. If that
makes sense!

Thanks for your help!

Gareth
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Maybe you could put a couple of triangles over the cell.

Then hide the borders and shade each triangle.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gazzypops

Hi David,

To a certain extent, this works but it prevents adding text into the cell
itself (for the 'what is making me busy' element of the diary). I'll see if I
can float the text on top of the coloured triangle....

Cheers,

Gareth

Gazzypops wrote:

Hi, I'm looking to apply more than one colour format to the same cell, split
diagonally from right to left (one colour being orange, the other being
white/uncoloured). I don't want stripes, just two blocks of colour making up
the cell background.

Slightly bizarre question, I know, but it's for a work diary for a
department with colour representing 'busy' and white/uncoloured representing
'available'. As I'm busy for the first half of the day, I want to split the
cell in half. At the moment I just have a diagonal line and the whole cell in
orange, but wanted to make the 'pm' half of the cell to be clear. If that
makes sense!

Thanks for your help!

Gareth

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Cutter

You can have text appear within the triangle by selecting the triangle,
then clicking in the formula bar and entering the = sign followed by a
cell reference or defined name. After hitting Enter the triangle will
display the contents of your referred cell or name.

--
Cutter
Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9848

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Or just use the arrow keys to select that cell and type there.

Or edit|goto (or F5 or ctrl-g) to select that cell (just type in the address)
and type there.