Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Marcel

Default Excel file opens slowly

I have a 198 Kb size Excel 2000 file that takes 3 1/2 minutes to open using
my new Dell computer. The file is not saved locally but to a server. It
opens fine in a much older computer.

There is an Excel 2000 file slightly larger than this one and more complex
with charts and links to other files and it opens in a couple of seconds on
the new Dell computer. This file is also saved on the server.

Can anyone explain why this is the case?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nika Lampe

Hello Marcel,

you could experience the problem, described in article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814112/en-us
If this does not help, please write which OS and antivirus you use on your
Dell computer.

Regards,
Nika Lampe

"Marcel" je napisal:

I have a 198 Kb size Excel 2000 file that takes 3 1/2 minutes to open using
my new Dell computer. The file is not saved locally but to a server. It
opens fine in a much older computer.

There is an Excel 2000 file slightly larger than this one and more complex
with charts and links to other files and it opens in a couple of seconds on
the new Dell computer. This file is also saved on the server.

Can anyone explain why this is the case?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Marcel

Thanks for the quick reply. However, I made a copy of the file to the local
drive and I get the same results. The OS on the Dell is XP Pro and uses EZ
antivirus software from e-trust.

"Marcel" je napisal:

I have a 198 Kb size Excel 2000 file that takes 3 1/2 minutes to open using
my new Dell computer. The file is not saved locally but to a server. It
opens fine in a much older computer.

There is an Excel 2000 file slightly larger than this one and more complex
with charts and links to other files and it opens in a couple of seconds on
the new Dell computer. This file is also saved on the server.

Can anyone explain why this is the case?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Try closing excel and cleaning up your windows temp folder--it might help and it
can't hurt.

windows start button|Run
%temp%
is a quick way to get there.

And here are a couple of sites that discuss slow performance. The first is by
Charles Williams and the second by David McRitchie:

http://www.decisionmodels.com
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Marcel

I actually saw your suggestion when you replied to another person with the
same problem. I thought my case wasn't quite the same because I could open
an even larger file with no problem.

Anyway, I did clear the temp folder and it still takes over 3 minutes to
open. I do appreciate your help though. And I'll remember your tip about a
quick route to the temp folder next time.

Marcel wrote:

I have a 198 Kb size Excel 2000 file that takes 3 1/2 minutes to open using
my new Dell computer. The file is not saved locally but to a server. It
opens fine in a much older computer.

There is an Excel 2000 file slightly larger than this one and more complex
with charts and links to other files and it opens in a couple of seconds on
the new Dell computer. This file is also saved on the server.

Can anyone explain why this is the case?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I think that someone just suggested changing printer drivers when this happened
and it worked for the original poster.

I'd try opening excel in safe mode
close excel
windows start button|run
excel /safe

Then file|open the workbook

If it works more quickly there, maybe it's the excel toolbar that's causing
trouble.

If it works more quickly, you could verify that it is the toolbar file, by:
close excel
windows search
search for *.xlb
(in hidden folders for hidden files, too)

Rename all the *.xlb files you find to *.xlbOLD

Then restart excel and see if that helps.

If it does, then rebuild any customized changes to the toolbar at your
convenience.

If it doesn't, then close excel and rename all those *.xlbOLD back to *.xlb.

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors at:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes at:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.htm

Marcel wrote:

I have a 198 Kb size Excel 2000 file that takes 3 1/2 minutes to open using
my new Dell computer. The file is not saved locally but to a server. It
opens fine in a much older computer.

There is an Excel 2000 file slightly larger than this one and more complex
with charts and links to other files and it opens in a couple of seconds on
the new Dell computer. This file is also saved on the server.

Can anyone explain why this is the case?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Marcel

I ran excel in safe mode, but the file still opens slowly. I also read
suggestions from the links you provided. But I don't quite understand as to
why this is the only excel file that opens slowly. If there was a problem,
wouldn't other files open slowly too?

I think it may be this one particular file, but why can I open the file in a
much older computer with no problem?

Again thanks for your help.

Marcel wrote:

I have a 198 Kb size Excel 2000 file that takes 3 1/2 minutes to open using
my new Dell computer. The file is not saved locally but to a server. It
opens fine in a much older computer.

There is an Excel 2000 file slightly larger than this one and more complex
with charts and links to other files and it opens in a couple of seconds on
the new Dell computer. This file is also saved on the server.

Can anyone explain why this is the case?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I don't have a real guess.

Can you rebuild that workbook and see if that helps?

Marcel wrote:

I have a 198 Kb size Excel 2000 file that takes 3 1/2 minutes to open using
my new Dell computer. The file is not saved locally but to a server. It
opens fine in a much older computer.

There is an Excel 2000 file slightly larger than this one and more complex
with charts and links to other files and it opens in a couple of seconds on
the new Dell computer. This file is also saved on the server.

Can anyone explain why this is the case?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Marcel

I guess I can give it a try. There are 25 worksheets, but all with similar
formats and formulas. Only the data is different.

I'll give it a try and see if that works.

Marcel wrote:

I have a 198 Kb size Excel 2000 file that takes 3 1/2 minutes to open using
my new Dell computer. The file is not saved locally but to a server. It
opens fine in a much older computer.

There is an Excel 2000 file slightly larger than this one and more complex
with charts and links to other files and it opens in a couple of seconds on
the new Dell computer. This file is also saved on the server.

Can anyone explain why this is the case?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Marcel

Okay, I finally finished rebuilding the whole workbook. I was able to reduce
the size to 170 Kb. But the file still takes about 1 minute to open.

I hope someone can help. Let me know if there is any other info I can
provide.

Thanks.