Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cindy

Default importing file

I have a file downloaded from the internet. when I open that file in WORD,
it consists of 4925 pages of one column of data. Each record is 11 columns
long. Ex. first name
last name
address 1
address 2
city
state
zip
etc
I want to open that report in excel and have each of the 11 RECORD columns
in word to be on one row in excel.
doable?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nika Lampe

Hi Cindy,

well, it is possible to convert this data programatically, but with few
clicks it cal be done as well.
So, I assume this is Word document (with .doc extension). If it is so, you
simply open it in Word, select all the data (ctrl+a) and then choose on Table
menu Convert - Text to Table. In "Convert Text to Table" choose "Number of
columns" 11 and click OK.
Then choose Convert - Table to Text and select the desired separator.
Usually you need to choose Other and type comma, but sometimes Semicolons is
also OK.
And save this document as txt (save as - file type txt).
You can then just rename txt to csv and open this csv file in Excel by
opening Excel first, select Text files as File type. You'll get Text import
wizard window, where you select "Delimited" in first step, and appropriate
delimitor in next step. And then you just follow the next steps to open the
file.
And of course you can save such file as Excel file, so that you won't need
to repeat steps in import wizard every time you open the file.

Regards,
Nika Lampe