Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AHSinVT

Default Sorting into categories

How do you sort items (like a mail list) into categories when some of the
items (but not all of them) are in more than one category? E.g., some rout
for the Red Sox, some drink beer, and some eat pretzels--and some do all of
these, but some do none. How do I enter the data and then creat a list that
includes only the pretzel-eaters?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Anne Troy

I would make a column for each criteria, with the person's name in column A.
Then just put Xs or something in the columns that apply.
Want to see only pretzel eaters?
Use Autofilter:
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"AHSinVT" wrote in message
How do you sort items (like a mail list) into categories when some of the
items (but not all of them) are in more than one category? E.g., some
rout
for the Red Sox, some drink beer, and some eat pretzels--and some do all
of
these, but some do none. How do I enter the data and then creat a list
that
includes only the pretzel-eaters?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AHSinVT

Thanks, Anne. Your suggestion will work. Since I have a lot of categories,
though, it would be easier if I could assign a numeral to each one, and then
enter the category numeral(s) in just ONE column. So in the 'categories'
column, some people would have one numeral and some would have several. Is
there a way to make the filter read every entry that has a particular numeral
in it (e.g., 12, 13, 143, 1, etc)? I know Word well but am a newbie to Excel.