Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
alen_re

Default Don't know

Sorry.. title is strange..

I have two worksheets.. In both of them I have two same columns - Code
and Name..

In one worksheet is a list of all codes and names, and I want in other
one to put only a code in a cell and to get a name from the other
worksheet (that has a same code).. if you know what I mean

--
alen_re
alen_re's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28331

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

See if this example covers your situation

On Sheet1 you have a list.
A1: Code
A2 through A??: code numbers
B1: Name
B2 through B??: names

On Sheet2:

A1: Code
A2: (a code number)

B1: Name
B2: =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!A1:B100,2,0)
(returns the name on Sheet1 that is associated with the code in A2)

Copy that formula down as far as needed

Does that help?

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Coderre
Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21419

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jonathan Cooper

=VLOOKUP('codes without names'!A2,'codes with names'!$A$2:$B$4,2,FALSE)

'codes without names'!A2............ is the code your trying to lookup

'codes with names'!$A$2:$B$4.......is the table that has both codes and names.

"alen_re" wrote:

Sorry.. title is strange..

I have two worksheets.. In both of them I have two same columns - Code
and Name..

In one worksheet is a list of all codes and names, and I want in other
one to put only a code in a cell and to get a name from the other
worksheet (that has a same code).. if you know what I mean

--
alen_re
alen_re's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28331
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501721

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Actually, for copying the formula down, it needs this form:

B2: =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$100,2,0)

Or

you could name the lookup range on Sheet1 and use that name.

Sheet1, select the list range
EditNamesDefine
Names in workbook: LU_NameCode
Refers to: (the already selected range)
Click the [OK] button

Sheet2:
B2: =VLOOKUP(A2,LU_NameCode,2,0)

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Coderre
Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21419
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501721

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
alen_re

I've tried what you said.. but it's probably up to me, and I can't get
it to work.. I'm not so good with excel

So, I'll try to be more specific..

Sheet1
A1 - Code (A2 - A.. actual codes)
B2 - Product name (B2 - B.. actual names)

(This sheet has the list of 500 codes with names)

Sheet2
A1 - Code
B2 - Product name
(C3 - Quantity)

So.. I want to add quantity in Sheet2 and to put only a code.. and I
want formula to find a product name for the code..

--
alen_re
alen_re's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28331
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501721

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Your references seem to include some typos, but.....

On Sheet2, if you enter a Code in cell A2, then this formula (which I
posted earlier) should return the Product Name associated with that
code:

B2: =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$100,2,0)

Adjust the sheet and range range references to suit your situation.

Does that help?

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Coderre
Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21419
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501721

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
alen_re

Thanks a lot for the help... It helped me ofcourse.. but I found one
thing that didn't fit..

You said: B2: =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$100,2,0)
I made a correction: B2: =VLOOKUP(A2;Sheet1!$A$1:$B$100;2)

Problem with ; and ,

I'm using Office 2000.. why is this ?!