Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gilley

Default Files Opening Very Slowly

We have several users on Excel 2000 and Win 98. A few of them have reported
recently that their spreadsheets are opening much slower that before. It
doesn't matter if it is a complicated/large spreadsheet or a small one. Most
of the spreadsheets are on a network drive versus a local drive. In some
cases, rebooting the system puts things back to normal. This morning a 62k
file took over 3 minutes to load. That seems a little long. We have cleaned
out the temp files but that hasn't seemed to help.

Any suggestions?
Gilley
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten

Hi Gilley,

Check Jan Karel Pieterse's list he

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.htm

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Gilley" wrote in message
We have several users on Excel 2000 and Win 98. A few of them have
reported
recently that their spreadsheets are opening much slower that before. It
doesn't matter if it is a complicated/large spreadsheet or a small one.
Most
of the spreadsheets are on a network drive versus a local drive. In some
cases, rebooting the system puts things back to normal. This morning a
62k
file took over 3 minutes to load. That seems a little long. We have
cleaned
out the temp files but that hasn't seemed to help.

Any suggestions?
Gilley

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gilley

Niek,

Thanks for the quick response. We had tripped across that web site last
week when the problem was first reported. There is no error displayed, the
files just take a long time to open and now I have been told to close also.

I did double-check the items on that site to make sure that we didn't miss
anything.

There was only the 'Auto Save' plug-in selected. The temp files were
deleted. Only the 'PDFMaker.xla' in the XLstart directory.

We are running Symantec AV software but are using the Enterprise version so
there is no anti-virus plug-in loaded.

If you have any other suggestions, I will take them. I and several others
here are at a loss.

Thanks,
Gilley

"Gilley" wrote in message
We have several users on Excel 2000 and Win 98. A few of them have
reported
recently that their spreadsheets are opening much slower that before. It
doesn't matter if it is a complicated/large spreadsheet or a small one.
Most
of the spreadsheets are on a network drive versus a local drive. In some
cases, rebooting the system puts things back to normal. This morning a
62k
file took over 3 minutes to load. That seems a little long. We have
cleaned
out the temp files but that hasn't seemed to help.

Any suggestions?
Gilley

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mark Lincoln

Has there been any new software, or new versions of old software loaded
on the computers in question?

Someone in another thread found that installing HP printer software
caused the same kind of problem. A restore of his system (using Ghost)
and a reinstallation of the HP software cured the problem.

Where I work, we had problems with McAfee's answer to Symantec's NAV
Auto-Protect feature. When the McAfee auto-protect (I forget its
actual name) was active the machine running it simply would not run
Excel files from our Novell server. Once McAfee was told to go away,
we regained Excel functionality.

Look in the Task Lists of the affected machines to see if there might
be a common process running that could be the cause.

Try turning off possible culprits in the Task List to see if you get
your speed back.

That's as far out on my limb as I can go right now.... :-)