Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Allore

Default Excel backups

I would like to know how to make a backup disk or CD for my spreadsheet. I
cannot use my computer as my spreadsheets are listed only in my Excel
program. I have even used to Search function and it does not locate my
spreadsheet for me. What am I doing wrong. Any help for me?

Thanks
--
Allore
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Anne Troy

Sounds to me like you need a tutorial like this one:
http://www.duke.edu/~dhewitt/tutoria...er/explor.html

************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Allore" wrote in message
I would like to know how to make a backup disk or CD for my spreadsheet. I
cannot use my computer as my spreadsheets are listed only in my Excel
program. I have even used to Search function and it does not locate my
spreadsheet for me. What am I doing wrong. Any help for me?

Thanks
--
Allore

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Open one of your workbooks in excel.

Type this in an empty cell:

=cell("Filename",a1)

And you'll see where the files are stored.

You can also find the location via:
file|properties|General tab

Allore wrote:

I would like to know how to make a backup disk or CD for my spreadsheet. I
cannot use my computer as my spreadsheets are listed only in my Excel
program. I have even used to Search function and it does not locate my
spreadsheet for me. What am I doing wrong. Any help for me?

Thanks
--
Allore

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Allore

Dave: I tried the formula you suggested and the word VALUE showed up in the
cell. Would you have any idea what I did wrong.
--
Allore

Allore wrote:

I would like to know how to make a backup disk or CD for my spreadsheet. I
cannot use my computer as my spreadsheets are listed only in my Excel
program. I have even used to Search function and it does not locate my
spreadsheet for me. What am I doing wrong. Any help for me?

Thanks
--
Allore

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I'd guess you made a typo.

Did you open an existing workbook?

Allore wrote:

I would like to know how to make a backup disk or CD for my spreadsheet. I
cannot use my computer as my spreadsheets are listed only in my Excel
program. I have even used to Search function and it does not locate my
spreadsheet for me. What am I doing wrong. Any help for me?

Thanks
--
Allore

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Allore

Dave, I would have thought so too, but I have tried several times. Could it
be that I have Excel 3. It always comes out as #VALUE. Thanks for trying to
help me. Must be a hopeless case.

--
Allore

Allore wrote:

I would like to know how to make a backup disk or CD for my spreadsheet. I
cannot use my computer as my spreadsheets are listed only in my Excel
program. I have even used to Search function and it does not locate my
spreadsheet for me. What am I doing wrong. Any help for me?

Thanks
--
Allore

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Excel 3????

From John Walkenbach's site:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/index.htm

That looks like it was released in 1990.

Is that what you meant?

If it is, then I don't have a guess. I don't think I've ever seen that version.

If you meant xl2003, then that formula should work.

And just to make sure, don't change that formula.
=cell("Filename",a1)

Just type it in (or copy|paste from this message) to see what happens.

Allore wrote:

I would like to know how to make a backup disk or CD for my spreadsheet. I
cannot use my computer as my spreadsheets are listed only in my Excel
program. I have even used to Search function and it does not locate my
spreadsheet for me. What am I doing wrong. Any help for me?

Thanks
--
Allore

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Allore

Dave:
Thanks for sticking with me, To show you what a novice I am I was writing
the file name of what I was looking for, not "Filename"
It worked and you taught me something I did not know. Appreciate it.
--
Allore

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Excel 3????

From John Walkenbach's site:

Allore wrote:

I would like to know how to make a backup disk or CD for my spreadsheet. I
cannot use my computer as my spreadsheets are listed only in my Excel
program. I have even used to Search function and it does not locate my
spreadsheet for me. What am I doing wrong. Any help for me?

Thanks
--
Allore

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

Hi Alice,
Even if you are satisfied you can identify all of your Excel files, there
are still other files that you should backup.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm
---
HTH,

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message ...
Glad you got it working.

Allore wrote:

Dave:
Thanks for sticking with me, To show you what a novice I am I was writing
the file name of what I was looking for, not "Filename"
It worked and you taught me something I did not know. Appreciate it.
--
Allore

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Excel 3????