Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Matt7102

Default Counting Dates in a Range

I seek help to find a formula to do the following:
I have a range (P2:AB659) that is populated with dates entered 1/16/06
format and displayed as 6-Jan format. I need to count the number of cells
containing any date in January, any date in February, etc.

TIA, Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sloth

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(P2:AB659)=1)

change the 1 to the month number you want to count (ie. Jan=1, Feb=2, Mar=3,
etc.)

"Matt7102" wrote:

I seek help to find a formula to do the following:
I have a range (P2:AB659) that is populated with dates entered 1/16/06
format and displayed as 6-Jan format. I need to count the number of cells
containing any date in January, any date in February, etc.

TIA, Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sloth

It turns an array of logical terms into 1's and 0's. This way they can be
summed (TRUE/FALSE is ignored when summing).

Example:
{TRUE,TRUE,FALSE,TRUE}-{1,1,0,1}

NOTE: The formula is missing a close parenthesis and should be

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(P2:AB659)=1))

"Matt7102" wrote:

I seek help to find a formula to do the following:
I have a range (P2:AB659) that is populated with dates entered 1/16/06
format and displayed as 6-Jan format. I need to count the number of cells
containing any date in January, any date in February, etc.

TIA, Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Matt7102

Thanks for the help, and the short tutorial on explaining the formula
function... however, using a smaller dataset to test, the formula does not
return the correct result for January. Works fine for all other months.
When I add a date in the range other than January to the test dataset, (or
delete an existing) all is well for the month altered. January is just NOT
working...any ideas?

"Matt7102" wrote:

I seek help to find a formula to do the following:
I have a range (P2:AB659) that is populated with dates entered 1/16/06
format and displayed as 6-Jan format. I need to count the number of cells
containing any date in January, any date in February, etc.

TIA, Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sloth

I have no idea why it wouldn't be working. I made a small list to test that
worked fine. Can you show the list, formulas, and results? Is it giving an
error, or the wrong value? What value does the formula produce? What value
should it be?

"Matt7102" wrote:

I seek help to find a formula to do the following:
I have a range (P2:AB659) that is populated with dates entered 1/16/06
format and displayed as 6-Jan format. I need to count the number of cells
containing any date in January, any date in February, etc.

TIA, Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Matt7102

Well, I cannot attach the data set, so here is an example: With only a
single column of the range populated:
2) 1-Jan =SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH($P$2:$Y$14)=1))
3) 1-Feb =SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH($P$2:$Y$14)=2))
4) 1-Mar =SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH($P$2:$Y$14)=3))

Etc thru 1-Dec, formula contnues as well. Jan returns 119, all others
return 1. If I change 1-Jan to 1-Jun, June formula result changes to 2, and
January changes to 118. If I change all 12 to 1-Jan, January result is 130,
all other results are zero. If I then clear contents, Jan result is 130, all
other results are zero.

Thanks again, Matt

"Matt7102" wrote:

I seek help to find a formula to do the following:
I have a range (P2:AB659) that is populated with dates entered 1/16/06
format and displayed as 6-Jan format. I need to count the number of cells
containing any date in January, any date in February, etc.

TIA, Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Matt7102

I just figured out that the cell range is 130 cells, and entering any date
reduces the <blank cell count by one- Jan formula is counting blank cells
perhaps?

"Matt7102" wrote:

I seek help to find a formula to do the following:
I have a range (P2:AB659) that is populated with dates entered 1/16/06
format and displayed as 6-Jan format. I need to count the number of cells
containing any date in January, any date in February, etc.

TIA, Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sloth

Good problem solving, I didn't realise you had blank cells. Try these
formulas.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(range)=1),1-(ISBLANK(range)))
or
=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(range)=1),--(ISNUMBER(range)))

"Matt7102" wrote:

I seek help to find a formula to do the following:
I have a range (P2:AB659) that is populated with dates entered 1/16/06
format and displayed as 6-Jan format. I need to count the number of cells
containing any date in January, any date in February, etc.

TIA, Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Matt7102

Thanks for the assistance, it now works without error. Hope I can pass along
similar help someday!

Matt