Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RJ31

Default Entering Data

I have a large complex spreadsheet that calculates just when the file is
saved. I was wondering if anyone new how to ensure that the same number
is not entered twice into a column other than using the find command.
Ryabn

--
RJ31
RJ31's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30451

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Billigmeier

Here are 2 formula's that will both work (Array formulas so commit with
CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER):

1) =SUMPRODUCT(IF(COUNTIF(A1:A20,A1:A20)1,1,0))
2) =SUMPRODUCT(IF(COUNTIF(A1:A20,A1:A20)1,1,0)/COUNTIF(A1:A20,A1:A20))

#1 will count the total number of duplicates, so 1,1,2,3,4,5,5,5 will return 5
#2 will count the total number of UNIQUE duplicates, so 1,1,2,3,4,5,5, will
return 2

Both formulas will return 0 if there are no duplicates.

Just change the A1:A20 reference to match your data.
Does that help?
Dave

"RJ31" wrote:

I have a large complex spreadsheet that calculates just when the file is
saved. I was wondering if anyone new how to ensure that the same number
is not entered twice into a column other than using the find command.
Ryabn

--
RJ31
RJ31's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30451
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501138

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Check out Chip Pearson's site for method of preventing duplicate entries.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:51:18 -0600, RJ31
wrote:

I have a large complex spreadsheet that calculates just when the file is
saved. I was wondering if anyone new how to ensure that the same number
is not entered twice into a column other than using the find command.
Ryabn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RJ31

Thanks for the replies. I am a coop student starting my first week.
This helped very much. Thank you