Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Access Joe

Default Remove varying amounts of space characters

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone out there can help. I've been working with this Excel
file that I believe was imported from an external app. Column A has a bunch
of data along with a whole slew of empty cells. Problem is, they are not
empty. I copied and pasted the column into Word so I could see the invisible
characters, and low and behold, they were many. Some cells had space & tab
characters after existing text, others had space characters in the blank
cells. Additionally, the spaces were not all equal. Sometimes it was 15
spaces, sometimes 8, etc. I need to physically remove all these invisible
characters so sorting & filtering will work the way it's supposed to.

Reading through the available threads, I couldn't find anything for my
situation. I tried FInd/Replace/ALT 0160 and that didn't work because it
only accounts for one single space. Can't use TRIM since the spaces are
varying in lengths. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
wjohnson

Try the "CLEAN" Function - it will remove all "NON-PRINTING" characters,
(i.e. tabs, spaces, etc.).

--
wjohnson
wjohnson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29640

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken Johnson

CLEAN doesn't remove spaces so you will also have to use TRIM which
removes all spaces except for single spaces that are between other
characters.
Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken Johnson