Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sige

Default Match return #NA ...though item exists!

Hi There,

I am trying to determine the position of my item in A1 (exact match) in
a range called DBlist.
=MATCH(A1,DBList,0)

it returns #N/A but God knows why as my item definitely exists in the
DBList.

Any clues on why this could be?

Thanks for your insight,
Sige

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Because it doesn't exist?

Check that neither the value in A1, or the supposedly existing value in
DBList doesn't have leading or trailing spaces, or any non-breaking spaces.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Sige" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi There,

I am trying to determine the position of my item in A1 (exact match) in
a range called DBlist.
=MATCH(A1,DBList,0)

it returns #N/A but God knows why as my item definitely exists in the
DBList.

Any clues on why this could be?

Thanks for your insight,
Sige

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sige

Hi Bob,
Thanks a lot ...A1 was a text value!
Solved it: =MATCH(--A1;DBLIST;0)

BTW:
From your excellent white paper "Sumproduct".

I always understood that the "evaluation arrays" should be all rows or
all columns ... or bypassing this issue via the "transpose"-function.

I tried underneath, but it returns: #NA
{=SUMPRODUCT((E2:N2=TRANSPOSE(B8:B10))*(E6:N6))}

This function though, works ...
=SUMPRODUCT((E2:N2=B8:B10)*(E6:N6))
I am a bit puzzled by this ...as it is exactly the opposit of what the
paper says!

Where am I wrong in my reasoning?

Brgds Sige